Answered

would you recommend nbn ?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: anyone with possitive nbn experience ?

@aussluc wrote:

@aussluc From my personal experience, I would give it a total thumbs up :-)

From the issues I see posted here, it mostly is related to FTTN technology, so it still relies on a copper to the home connection. 

If you are/were like me, and have a very reliable ADSL connection then FTTN tends to run allot smoother.

And it most of those issues, the complaints seem to be about canceled or delayed appointments by the NBN Co who have taken over those duties. 

Here is a recent article on that very thing by iTnews

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Currently on cable but due to changeover to NBN FTTC first half of the year. What do you mean by "Telstra has a stop sell on FTTC" ??

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector
Accepted Solution

my bad, Telstra currently will not supply the premium speed boost on FTTC you can still get the 50 line speed just not the 100 line speed at the moment

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's definitely better than ADSL was. 

Any specifics you are worried about?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Technically whether we recommend it or not you will need to eventually move to it if you want to use the internet.

Basically after it becomes available in your area then you have 18 months to make the flick before your older technology is switched off.

There are other alternatives but each have their advantages and disadvantages.

But like Jupiter said what specific aspect as you worried about?

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

@aussluc wrote:

@aussluc From my personal experience, I would give it a total thumbs up :-)

From the issues I see posted here, it mostly is related to FTTN technology, so it still relies on a copper to the home connection. 

If you are/were like me, and have a very reliable ADSL connection then FTTN tends to run allot smoother.

And it most of those issues, the complaints seem to be about canceled or delayed appointments by the NBN Co who have taken over those duties. 

Here is a recent article on that very thing by iTnews

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have an ADSL connection would definitely recommend going to NBN unless the NBN is using fixed wireless or satellite.

If on cable I would stay on cable as long as possible but eventually you are going to have to transfer to NBN. With NBN there will be a big download speed drop of 50% unless you are willing to pay extra for a speed boost. Even with a speed boost maximum attainable download speed is about 95 Mbps.

Highlighted

It really depends on what your Technology type is from my experience FTTP is amazing I have only ever lived in FTTP areas never had issues

FTTC is good almost on par with FTTP but is limited to 100mbps & Telstra has a stop sell on FTTC for some reason

HFC can have alot of issues not sure why but from what I've seen it can but it's usually more stable & has better upload speeds

FTTB/FTTN better then ADSL but is reliant on the old copper so if the copper isn't working well the NBN won't work well BUT it will still be better then ADSL

FW can be good but is reliant on weather & your area sometimes ADSL can be better but it's usually worth trying as it can work well 

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Currently on cable but due to changeover to NBN FTTC first half of the year. What do you mean by "Telstra has a stop sell on FTTC" ??

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

my bad, Telstra currently will not supply the premium speed boost on FTTC you can still get the 50 line speed just not the 100 line speed at the moment

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

No not really, it's an unavoidable thing anyway, I think.

Thanks for the slogan.

Highlighted

No specifics, NBN had arrived and then you start asking people for their experiences and

that was a bit scary, so I was just looking for some positive noise. Still listening.

Highlighted

And here is one !

I think I'm going for it, at least for the donut and cuppa.

Thanks

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Ah ok. Personally im due in 2 months time and cant wait to get off Telstra... Only reason why im with em cause cable internet is only supplied by them so thats why im here. But the moment i get FTTC ill be jumping ship.

One things to be careful of and most peoplke are getting caught out by saying "dont worry you will be paying the same as you are now" but they fail to advise that you will be getting slower speeds depending on what tech you currently have.

I guess there is one of your advantages (depending on the person and experience) with NBN you have a lot more suppliers with better pricing and in some cases staff that are located here in Australia... Unfortunately if i want to keep the download speeds i have now ill be paying around $120 a month compared to my $80. But with an other provider i can get the almost the same speed now for $80 a month for the first 6 and then $90 after that.

Shop around =)

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.

Stay away from Telstra. You pay in Australian Dollars and you will NEVER get any customer service in Australia they are all in India or Asia. Telstra are only happy in taking your Aussie dollars and when things go wrong they do not want to speak to you. Instead they get you to speak to Indian or Asian call centers. Telstra do have the best mobile coverage in Australia but the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE in the world. They seem to be so PROUD of their CUSTOMER SERVICE record that they haven't made any changes to it in years.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit