mich62
Level 1: Cadet

buyer beware

On Friday 24th I committed to the mobile broadband with the netgear device and 60 gigs data for $64 per month. This was to replace my current adsl connection with Optus which was an unlimited connection for 464 per month. The current speed of the netgear so far have been up to 400mbps while i get only around 12-20 mbps on my Adsl. I spoke to the salespeople at the hawthorn store about my requirement to end my optus service and use the telstra service instead. Big Mistake!!!!!

What they dont tell you is the copious amounts of data the netgear will download.

The specific requirements of my usage are gaming, email, web browsing and streaming. I averaged around 30 gigs a month with my optus connection which could include anywhere up to 8 devices connected.

Now with the netgear, three days after purchase Ive used over 9 gig. The usage has been exclusively one device, for gaming, and logged in for only 5 minutes twice a day

Went back to the store and off course cant cancel the contract unless pay out $1100.00

Their solution is buy a higher plan. Even based on the 100 gig a month plan and based on using around 3 gig a day for 10 minutes usage, I'll well exceed the 100 gig should i want to do browsing, streaming, emails etc.

I intend to explore other options regarding this matter. While there was no expectation that the salespeople would know what i use data for, it was explained to them my usage and too replace my optus connection. Now I have to keep the optus connection and alternate between the two at an added cost doubling my connection bill

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: buyer beware

3 Gigabytes per day is s bit high for 10 minutes usage even if streaming UHD video. Have you checked the data usage on the gaming device to see which app is using the data?

Windows 10 May feature update has just been released this requires a 4Gigabyte download. Do you have any Windows 10 PC connected to your network that might be downloading the update in the background?
mich62

Hi Cf4
its only one app using the data and its a gaming app. there are two events that go for about between one minute to two minutes and speed is critical. when logged into the netgear it consumes anywhere from 600 meg to over 1 gig. the gaming app is sniper fury if your familiar with it and the two events are boos and core kill.
when not doing those two events i switch back to adsl
at this rate ill consume my allowance by week two
Level 22: Superhuman

I have used a netgear mobile broadband modem for 3 1/2 years, with none of the levels of data you describe. You must have something else in the background that Optus may not have counted
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

Optus provide unmetered data for several streaming platforms including Netflix and Stan where Telstra does not which can certainly have a huge impact

Gaming also doesn't take a significant chunk of data while playing however these days game updates can, even mobile games.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
mich62

not optus, its telstra and its a new product so you cant have used if for three years. the download speeds are around 300mbps which i doubt your getting
Level 21: Augmented

@ProfessorPhone @cf4 @Yastiandrie 

I presume he/ she means this device?

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/nighthawk-m2

with a potential speed of 500Mbps down and 40Mbps up

you might have to see if there is any way to downsize the streaming rate from the app or its website.

or downgrade it to a 3G connection speed

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Fundamentally, the device you have isn't much different to the previous version that just got replaced, so usage would be comparable.

I even get close to 300Mbps on my mobile phone (inside my house and office), and have for a few years (and I live in the country, not an inner suburb like you), so it is quite possible.

Also, if you are streaming video (including game graphics), most services scale up the stream quality the faster the connection is. So your game could be using far more data than it used to as it will use as much bandwidth as it can.

I would suggest that you look at the settings within your game and see if there is a setting to restrict bandwidth usage.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
mich62

advertised as up to 2gbps although most ive done is 400meg download and 150 upload
i find if you dont connect with 5ghz speeds are slower which may be a way to reduce data
Level 22: Superhuman

Started in error. Please disregard!

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now