dbm
Level 1: Cadet

dongle size blocking usb port

Answered

the dongle is so wide it is overlapping the usb port next to it so that the port cannot be used. i have bought a usb hub and plugged the dongle into that instead, and the blue light turns on, but when i click to connect to the internet it says that it cannot connect. 

my laptop only has two usb ports so it is a problem. any suggestions? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: dongle size blocking usb port

Rather than a 'Hub', you should use a short male to female lead. **bleep** Smith has them, as my brother in law had the same problem.

Censorship that should read D i C K Smith...

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Rather than a 'Hub', you should use a short male to female lead. **bleep** Smith has them, as my brother in law had the same problem.

Censorship that should read D i C K Smith...

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
dbm

thankyou, i will try that. 

Redback
Level 3: Gumshoe

Lots of modems come with short leads for this purpose.

My favourite are the stiff ones that you can bend up to point the antenna, although they can put a lot of stress on the usb ports.

Operation

I have this problem also, I have made up a USB extention cable, and I have it long enough so that my bulky internet stick is taped to the ceiling (2 bars reception).

Before that, I simply had the device dismantled, IE missing the case altogether, this allows you to wrestle another usb in beside the donge itself.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now