CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ETphoneHOME
Level 3: Gumshoe

how to tell if mimo is available from my local tower

Answered

Is there any way to tell if MIMO is available from any given Telstra tower? 

Specifically: 6450002 - 31.23 km LOT 524 Plan 36119 HOWICK RD HOWICK WA 6450

I'm looking to purchase 1 or 2 yagi antenna (700mhz - 900mhz) but don't really want to waste money on the second one if MIMO isn't an option in this area. 

Is my thinking correct here? 4GX isn't automatically MIMO is it??

Cheers in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ETphoneHOME
Accepted Solution

Re: how to tell if mimo is available from my local tower

Further down I found this, do you think this information is correct?? Thanks.

Thanks, jhend for the info re CA and MiMo. So, my next questions are, does Telstra send the two frequencies of MiMo on Band 28 or Band 3, or both? Is MiMo available from every tower that has those Bands?

does Telstra send the two frequencies of MiMo on Band 28 or Band 3, or both?

Both.

Is MiMo available from every tower that has those Bands?

Every 4G cell, be it Telstra, Optus or Vodafone. And whether it be LTE band B1, B3, B5, B7, B8, B28 or B40.

There's a good explanation of MIMO towards the bottom of this page: https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/telstra-4g-explained

Good or bad info??
ETphoneHOME
Accepted Solution

SEE THIS LINK, it might save you the cost of a full desktop survey to get some answers.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/telstra-4g-explained

The majority of the research I have done suggests MIMO (Multi in, Multi out) for my wireless internet will work on a single 4g lte frequency i.e. 700mhz alone or any one of the other 4G LTE bands, so long as I have a MIMO antenna setup, (in my case two yagi's polarised +45* & -45* from vertical) you could use a MIMO capable panel antenna also.

The key points are:
(CA) "Carrier Aggregation" is a feature of LTE "long term evolution", MIMO is different. Here two signals are transmitted (same band) with different polarization to the vertical
you must have two seperate antenna ports on your modem.
you need two leads from your antenna setup (one for each port on your modem)
all 4G LTE towers are apparently MIMO capable though this is debated, even Telstra don't know...
Speed increases are suggested and not a given.
Not all wireless modems can do MIMO on both the download (receive) & the upload (transmit) though Im told the Nighthawk M1 can do MIMO both. MIMO operation is also negotiated by the cell tower dependant on manny factors.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity

A second antenna is not going to help in your case. You either need to be in range of multiple towers, or for your tower to have more than one operating LTE frequency.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ETphoneHOME

Thanks Jupiter,
Could you please explain (for us dummies) how you were able to tell that this tower only has one LTE frequency? I have looked at the licensed frequencies for this location but don't know what to look for regarding MIMO, I have even compared locations that have MIMO and just got confused.

It has LTE700 at that location and nothing else. On most devices (of a phone type device), MIMO works by using different frequencies for each antenna (Carrier Aggregation or CA), or different origins of the signal.

Wifi is a bit different and uses the same frequency band just with multiple signals (all slightly different frequencies).

If the tower had multiple bands you would see 4G 900 or 4G 2100 etc as well as 4G 700.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ETphoneHOME

Thanks for responding,
That makes sense,
What was confusing me was my assumed understanding that MIMO was one frequency but the antenna were angled (polarised??) at 45* & 225* ( / & \ ) but it seems this is wrong, thanks for clearing that up for me.

So the only thing a second aerial would be good for at this location is a second device, (one aerial for my nighthawk M1 and the other for a suitable phone)
Am Im better off just setting the Nighthawk up with an external aerial and doing wifi calling from my phone??
Thanks for helping

ETphoneHOME

I just found this on another post, any chance we are on different pages?? (like I'm 100 pages behind you)

The ability to use multiple bands simultaneously comes from the "Carrier Aggregation" (CA) feature of LTE. But no varient of the Huawei E8372h supports CA.

MIMO is different. Here two signals are transmitted (same band) with different polarization to the vertical . That's at ±45° respectively. By running dual antennas aligned this way, a speed increase is possible (up to double in some cases).
ETphoneHOME
Accepted Solution

Further down I found this, do you think this information is correct?? Thanks.

Thanks, jhend for the info re CA and MiMo. So, my next questions are, does Telstra send the two frequencies of MiMo on Band 28 or Band 3, or both? Is MiMo available from every tower that has those Bands?

does Telstra send the two frequencies of MiMo on Band 28 or Band 3, or both?

Both.

Is MiMo available from every tower that has those Bands?

Every 4G cell, be it Telstra, Optus or Vodafone. And whether it be LTE band B1, B3, B5, B7, B8, B28 or B40.

There's a good explanation of MIMO towards the bottom of this page: https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/telstra-4g-explained

Good or bad info??
ETphoneHOME
Accepted Solution

SEE THIS LINK, it might save you the cost of a full desktop survey to get some answers.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/telstra-4g-explained

The majority of the research I have done suggests MIMO (Multi in, Multi out) for my wireless internet will work on a single 4g lte frequency i.e. 700mhz alone or any one of the other 4G LTE bands, so long as I have a MIMO antenna setup, (in my case two yagi's polarised +45* & -45* from vertical) you could use a MIMO capable panel antenna also.

The key points are:
(CA) "Carrier Aggregation" is a feature of LTE "long term evolution", MIMO is different. Here two signals are transmitted (same band) with different polarization to the vertical
you must have two seperate antenna ports on your modem.
you need two leads from your antenna setup (one for each port on your modem)
all 4G LTE towers are apparently MIMO capable though this is debated, even Telstra don't know...
Speed increases are suggested and not a given.
Not all wireless modems can do MIMO on both the download (receive) & the upload (transmit) though Im told the Nighthawk M1 can do MIMO both. MIMO operation is also negotiated by the cell tower dependant on manny factors.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now