CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
lk2250
Level 1: Cadet

pre paid data scam - freedom upgrade after purchasing Annual Plan

Answered

Hello;

Yesterday i used this page to add some credit to my pre paid data sim -

I selected and paid for the $50 Annual (5GB / 365 days) but was only provided 3GB and 30 days  . . . and I have been charged $50.00

I contacted Telstra directly and had an online chat. The consultant explained that I am on an old data plan and that I couldn't get a the new data that plan that I paid for. They were very happy to change me to the new plan but not willing to provide the missing 2GB. Here's the problem -

• the website above does not declare that some users are not eligable for this data until they uprade plan
  • there is no option to upgrade plan before you select the and pay for the plan
  • there is no indication during the checkout process that I am being charged for something different than what I selected
  • telstra (via the chat) does not offer any solution to refund or credit

I requested to have the issue escalated to someone who could review and the consultant stated that there was no-one that could help me any further.

I have transcripts of the conversation, receipt, and a screen shot the page linked to above (just in case Telstra updates it before this is resolved).

Has anyone else been stung by this?

What solution have you been offered?

What is my next step? Telstra or TIO?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: pre paid data scam - freedom upgrade after purchasing Annual Plan

You could try lodge a complaint:
https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

I agree, the website isn't extremely clear on this one, it does say if you are on a different offer to switch, and does refer you to check your offer on m.telstra.com while connected on the device...

Try lodge a complain with the form I linked above, let the complaints team deal with it... Generally speaking until you have lodged a complaint with the telco and had a response from them the TIO will often just refer you back to them... so usually saves time and often Telstra will deal with it before it hits the TIO for something like that...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

You could try lodge a complaint:
https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

I agree, the website isn't extremely clear on this one, it does say if you are on a different offer to switch, and does refer you to check your offer on m.telstra.com while connected on the device...

Try lodge a complain with the form I linked above, let the complaints team deal with it... Generally speaking until you have lodged a complaint with the telco and had a response from them the TIO will often just refer you back to them... so usually saves time and often Telstra will deal with it before it hits the TIO for something like that...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello ik2550

When a customer does select a plan they are supplied with the Terms and Conditions and the plan details, did you agree to these?.

If you are not happy with the outcome of your contact with a Team Member, they would have supplied you with the information on the account, you can lodge a complaint with us. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

lk2250

Is this a "canned" response or have you tried this and confirmed that T&Cs are provided for this particular purchase?

Because I am an existing customer with an existing plan I was not presented with any T&Cs.

The system has automatically switched my selection to suit my "old" plan during the checkout process without informing me or providing an option to cancel or upgrade before proceeding.

The only time that I could determine that something was different was when the incorrect amount of data appeared on my device.

I have also just gone throught the purchase process again (up to confirming my purchase) to check if I had missed a little link or button to the T&Cs but there is none - do you have a copy of the Terms and Conditions that we could refer to here?

lk2250

Thank you - this link and advice is helpful - lodging complaint now.

lk2250

After lodging a complaint and following that process have been credited the full 5GB (over 365 days) that I origionally selected.

You'll need to work your way through the following responses -

• "that offer is only available for the new plan"
  • "our system won't allow us apply that credit"
  • "you should have read the terms and conditions"

...but if you have a spare 2-3 hours to spend on the phone with Telstra you should be able to get the same result.

Cheers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now