Highlighted
whogivesa
Level 2: Rookie

pre paid mobile broadband wifi

Answered

I have purchased $180 pre paid mobile broadband wifi sim card.

Can this card be recharged from outside Australia using a connection via a local ISP such as my laptop in a hotel and not using the card?  If so, how?  I have a dormant Telstra account, 'dormant' in that the card which was registered to it has expired.  I can still access the profile information but cannot enter a new account.

Many thanks. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
whogivesa
Accepted Solution

Re: pre paid mobile broadband wifi

Ok, if the service is in my wife's name it is because she activated the new sim card.  She does not have a web account with a log in.  Is there a way for her to transfer this sim card to the existing account rather than open another account?  

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Change of ownership requires both parties to speak to us, this is usually best done over the phone with both of you on the line. As it sounds like you are overseas I do not believe that this will be possible.

Your best bet is to have your wife create a login for her account and provide you with a copy of the details.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi whogivesa,

Prepaid is available to be used whilst overseas although it would be roaming on another network so it would be costly, alternatively you can have the Prepaid WiFi device unlocked for a fee by calling 1300 720 179 so this can be used overseas

For more information on how much it would cost to roam overseas check here http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/rates/#tab-prices-within-australia

Thanks 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

whogivesa

Hi Esther,

I thought my question was clear.  Can this card be recharged from outside Australia using a connection via a local ISP such as my laptop in a hotel and not using the card?  If so, how?

I did not ask where it could be used or how much.

Any chance of your or Telstra answering the question?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Yes so you have 2 options, 

Either using Telstra prepaid SIM overseas at roaming prices or you can unlock the device (charges apply) and put a overseas SIM into the device to use on the local network.

You'd need to do some research on which network providers would allow you to do this or you can contact our Mobile team on 1300 720 179 to discuss further

hope this helps to answer your question Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

whogivesa

Hi Esther,

Obviously my question is not clear so let me try again.

Here I am sitting in some hell hole with my laptop.  My prepaid mobile wifi device is not with me.  I have access to an inexpensive or even free internet connection.  I want to be sure that when I am reunited with my prepaid mobile wifi device, it will have sufficient funds onboard for me to use it.  Therefore I would like to check how much usage is currently available, if any, and recharge it if necessary from here in my hell hole now.

Can I do that, if so, how?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Sure,

Do you plan on using the Prepaid device whilst overseas? and is it activated? 

If it is activated then you can recharge via the website, in order to do this you will need the SIM number of your device.

https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home

whogivesa

Hi Esther,

As I said, I do not have the device with me, so I can't use it even if I wanted to.

I find it strange that you will not answer a straight forward question.

So I will guess the answer is;  no, it is not possible to recharge the device from outside Australia or check the remaining value unless you call using the device.

Is this because the world is flat and anyone leaving Australia risks falling off?

Community Manager

I can assure you that Esther is trying to provide assistance and we are attempting to provide an answer.

As she said in her most recent post, if this device was activated then you certainly can check via the website and organise a recharge. However, if the service was not activated OR if the service is no longer active (has expired) then you will not be able to do this.

Checking usage via the website and recharging will also require that you either already have a login for the website or know the phone number associated to the device.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

whogivesa

Hi DanK,

I know the phone number and sim card serial.  On a Chat line yesterday with your Telstra colleague, I was told that I could not be given any more information because the service is not registered in my name.  I am guessing that the service was registered in my wife's name.  I have a dormant account in my name.  It is dormant because the sim card expired and the device now has the new sim card inserted and activated.  I can access the account so far as my profile is concerned but the system will not allow me to add an account.  So I'm stuck. 

Community Manager

Ah. If the account is under a different name you will not be able to add it to your login as the details do not match. Your wife, if that who is listed, needs to use their login. Otherwise, she would need to add you to the account and arrange a login that you can use to view usage and recharge from.

whogivesa
Accepted Solution

Ok, if the service is in my wife's name it is because she activated the new sim card.  She does not have a web account with a log in.  Is there a way for her to transfer this sim card to the existing account rather than open another account?  

Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Change of ownership requires both parties to speak to us, this is usually best done over the phone with both of you on the line. As it sounds like you are overseas I do not believe that this will be possible.

Your best bet is to have your wife create a login for her account and provide you with a copy of the details.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now