CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jtwig
Level 2: Rookie

setting up wireless connection 4G modem to laptop

Answered

This is pretty basic. Can someone explain?

I have attached my Telstra 4G modem via USB but there's a problem because it means that the device is always receiving a charge voltage.

Is there some intervening device necessary or can I connect the 4G modem directly to my Lenovo L512 via wireless?

I tried but came to the conclusion that I needed an intervening device; my laptop couldn't detect the modem as a wireless source.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: setting up wireless connection 4G modem to laptop

Assuming your 4G device is Wifi compatible (you don't state which model you have) then you should be able to connect via Wifi. It's odd that your Lenovo is unable to detect it.

With regards to the charging, you are correct. There is no way to prevent the device from drawing a charge from the USB socket whilst connected (that I'm aware of). Though I'm not sure what impact it would have on potential battery life, but I suspect it would be minimal.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

jtwig
Accepted Solution

Thanks for that.

I get a message on the modem telling me to disconnect the charger but, as you say, there isn't much I can do about it.

I think there might be a connecting lead that will isolate the USB signal from the DC. I might look for one of those.

I've now found a thing on my laptop that does indeed detect the modem but when I try to connect it fails to do so.

The first time I tried it asked for the password which I put in but since then it hasn't asked for the password again.

I'll keep experimenting and unless I can sort it out I guess I'm just stuck with using the USB.

Maybe I'll take everything into the local Telstra shop and see if they can sort it out for me.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Assuming your 4G device is Wifi compatible (you don't state which model you have) then you should be able to connect via Wifi. It's odd that your Lenovo is unable to detect it.

With regards to the charging, you are correct. There is no way to prevent the device from drawing a charge from the USB socket whilst connected (that I'm aware of). Though I'm not sure what impact it would have on potential battery life, but I suspect it would be minimal.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

jtwig
Accepted Solution

Thanks for that.

I get a message on the modem telling me to disconnect the charger but, as you say, there isn't much I can do about it.

I think there might be a connecting lead that will isolate the USB signal from the DC. I might look for one of those.

I've now found a thing on my laptop that does indeed detect the modem but when I try to connect it fails to do so.

The first time I tried it asked for the password which I put in but since then it hasn't asked for the password again.

I'll keep experimenting and unless I can sort it out I guess I'm just stuck with using the USB.

Maybe I'll take everything into the local Telstra shop and see if they can sort it out for me.

jtwig

Finally sorted it out. I'm now connected wirelessly.

Thanks for the response

Great to hear you are up and running wirelessly!

Thanks for letting us know it's all sorted Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit