CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Sgundry
Level 2: Rookie

sharing 3G USB modem via router

Answered

I have a Telstra 3G USB/WIFI modem that I am connecting to a D-Link DWR-116 wireless router to share the internet connection across my home network.  I am unsure of what settings to program the router with to make it work.  The router says that I am connected to the internet but i am not.  I keep getting a DNS error when trying to browse any website.

I am not sure if I need a user name/password for this?  When set-up direct with the computer I can connect and have no issues.

I am using telstra.internet as the APN. I have the dial-up number set at *99# as per the guide with the router.

Anyone offer any assistance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sgundry
Accepted Solution

Re: sharing 3G USB modem via router

I have managed to resolve this issue.  Turns out there was what I suspect to be an IP conflict between my router and the USB dongle (which happens to be the USB/Wireless version).  Once I set a custom IP address for the router I instantly had internet on the wired PC and available to share across the network.

CASE CLOSED

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sgundry, networking issues are outside of the boundaries of our standard Tech Support teams - if you're not able to get the help you need from other users on this site then our Telstra Platinum service (http://goo.gl/QySj3c) would be the best point of contact.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Sgundry
Accepted Solution

I have managed to resolve this issue.  Turns out there was what I suspect to be an IP conflict between my router and the USB dongle (which happens to be the USB/Wireless version).  Once I set a custom IP address for the router I instantly had internet on the wired PC and available to share across the network.

CASE CLOSED

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now