CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Sgundry
Level 2: Rookie

sharing 3G USB modem via router

Answered

I have a Telstra 3G USB/WIFI modem that I am connecting to a D-Link DWR-116 wireless router to share the internet connection across my home network.  I am unsure of what settings to program the router with to make it work.  The router says that I am connected to the internet but i am not.  I keep getting a DNS error when trying to browse any website.

I am not sure if I need a user name/password for this?  When set-up direct with the computer I can connect and have no issues.

I am using telstra.internet as the APN. I have the dial-up number set at *99# as per the guide with the router.

Anyone offer any assistance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sgundry
Accepted Solution

Re: sharing 3G USB modem via router

I have managed to resolve this issue.  Turns out there was what I suspect to be an IP conflict between my router and the USB dongle (which happens to be the USB/Wireless version).  Once I set a custom IP address for the router I instantly had internet on the wired PC and available to share across the network.

CASE CLOSED

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sgundry, networking issues are outside of the boundaries of our standard Tech Support teams - if you're not able to get the help you need from other users on this site then our Telstra Platinum service (http://goo.gl/QySj3c) would be the best point of contact.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Sgundry
Accepted Solution

I have managed to resolve this issue.  Turns out there was what I suspect to be an IP conflict between my router and the USB dongle (which happens to be the USB/Wireless version).  Once I set a custom IP address for the router I instantly had internet on the wired PC and available to share across the network.

CASE CLOSED

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit