CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
smlowrey
Level 2: Rookie

$22/mb for data!

Answered

My Mum (aged 71) was recently given an iPhone which consumed $50 worth of prepaid credit in a couple of days.  I've just chased this up with Telstra and found that her current prepaid plan charges $22 a mb!  Her new iPhone had, unbeknownst to her, been consuming the data over 3G.

Her old prepaid plan had really, really long expiry (like 2 years) but we obviously need to change it now she has some small data requirements.  Which plan will still offer her long expiry but with a more reasonable data rate?  She doesn't make a lot of calls, she might send one or two SMS messages a day, and she will need 3G data for the weather, iMessage and so on.

Prior to getting the iPhone a $20 credit could easily last her 6 months.  Any advice would be most welcomed!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
smlowrey
Accepted Solution

Re: $22/mb for data!

Thanks to all respondants.  I like the look of the pre paid Simplicity, and while 180 days expiry isn't as gernerous as her current plan, the 10c/mb data rate is is 220 times CHEAPER than her current rate, which more than makes up for it now that she has minimialistic data requirements.

MuchaS Gracias!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Gameboy
Level 6: Bloodhound

You have 2 choices - bar the data and have a smartphone without the mobile data capability, and keep your Long Life Offer, or you can move to something like Simplicity

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/prepaid-offers/#tab-prepaid-simplicity

It doesn't quite have the same expiry time, but it's not bad and data is 10c a MB.

Level 22: Superhuman

Which plan will still offer her long expiry but with a more reasonable data rate?

Telstra Pre-Paid Simplicity Offer, if you recharge a minimum of $100 in one go in order to get a 180-day pre-paid credit expiry period. The data rate for that offer is 10c/MB.

Telstra Pre-Paid Data+ Cap Offer, if you recharge a minimum of $180 in one go in order to get a 365-day pre-paid credit expiry period. The data rate for that offer, for that specific recharge level, is 1.46c/MB. Some minimal allowance for call and text messaging is included.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Gameboy
Level 6: Bloodhound

Also keep in mind that the Data+ Cap Offer is meant for tablets, not voice devices
Level 22: Superhuman

Gameboy wrote:
Also keep in mind that the Data+ Cap Offer is meant for tablets, not voice devices

Data+ Cap Offer compatible with mobiles.png

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
smlowrey
Accepted Solution

Thanks to all respondants.  I like the look of the pre paid Simplicity, and while 180 days expiry isn't as gernerous as her current plan, the 10c/mb data rate is is 220 times CHEAPER than her current rate, which more than makes up for it now that she has minimialistic data requirements.

MuchaS Gracias!

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit