KC66
Level 1: Cadet

Amazing Telstra still allow IG8 PTY LTD scam after getting fine heavily, does Telstra ever learn

After receiving my FIRST Telstra bill, I discovered the  IG8 PTY LTD 3rd party charge appeared in my bill.  Just like every other posts regarding this company since 2016, it is pure scam and Telstra is fully awared of this. (fyi, I don't click on any link nor reply STOP/etc on SMS or email.)

Why no action?  Why no 3rd Party Service be allowed by Default i.e opt-in rather than opt-out?   After been fined million dollars by the authority early this year for this offence, I dont think Telstra has ever learned. Or merely just incompetent?

Wasted my 20 minutes online to resolve this, 20 minutes which I could not get back.  The next time, I will formally write to the Authority to ensure the fine be increased 10 folds if no action is taken.

FYI my issue log:

at 19:03, Dec 14:
Here is the reference number : 1-1825911896131

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES
KC66

Re: Amazing Telstra still allow IG8 PTY LTD scam after getting fine heavily, does Telstra ever learn

Found this article https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/moreonyourmobile/premium-sms-change. So Telstra will stop this limited Premium Service barring from 12 December 2018.

Unfortunately it has not clear statement if there is 'Double-Click Opt-In' compulsory feature.

Take it whatever you want, this undertaking will still cause problem. I guess 30% plus commission is still too enticing for the bottom line, who cares about reputation lost.
BigGreg6

Re: Amazing Telstra still allow IG8 PTY LTD scam after getting fine heavily, does Telstra ever learn

The article states that these services will be stopped December 2018, but here we are in January 2019 & I am still getting these. It just took me 45 minutes in a chat session to get a credit and the "service" stopped.

mudjimba

MY bill, due tomorrow, has 2 charges from them. One in November & one in December.
I thought it unusual that they were very quick to remove the charge no questions asked. Then I did a bit of digging around to find what a scam it is.
Surely this is illegal.
KC66

Yes, it took me less than 45 min to stop the 'service' and receive the refund. The fact is how this 'service' got into my account in the first place is something Telstra ought to be giving us the answer i.e. when I never clicked my link or accept any 'service'. I should not be conned into wasting my time to seek the refund in the first place.
KC66

It definitely a scam and illegal. Somehow Telstra still allow this. Somehow somewhere in Telstra's billing department, someone drops the ball.

If enough of us getting this 'service'/scam after November 2018, probably it is time this scam be reported to the proper communication authority if Telstra does nothing.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @KC66

I can certainly understand that charges for Third Party Purchase can be very frustrating if you don't know where they're originating from.

These charges can be anything from ringtones you have purchased to voting or entering a competition. Most third parties require payment, or a series of payments for their content which Telstra pays to the provider on your behalf. We then include these charges on your bill.

If you have queries, complaints or issues of any kind – please first contact the company directly. If their details aren’t listed on your bill, use the 19 Service Finder at https://tel.st/pnxww by entering the 19 number and the date that appears on your bill. This website will give you details of the company that is charging you for content and tell you how to unsubscribe.

Telstra also provides the option of barring premium services completely. Barring is free, and you won’t be charged for Premium SMS services once they’re barred. Barring won’t restrict your other services – but please be aware, it may take up to one business day to take effect. Call us on 13 22 00, or complete the form at https://tel.st/py3fq to bar Premium SMS.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Want a Big Gigaboost?

Get a Massive 10GB Bonus on Select Lease Plans.

Find out more