CrowdSupport®
Antitelstra
Level 1: Cadet

Australia

To anyone considering joining with Telstra, beware! 

They do not provide updates on best deals (Charging $90 per month for 5gb to people with mental health illness)  

Charging monthly fees for ‘Staying connected’ - to illegible customers.

- Poor customer service, they don’t answer questions and hang up on you. (Doesn’t pay to dispute fees) 

- Drags out TIO complaints 

- Would highly recommend checking your bill to ensure you’re getting the best deal and that that are not charging hidden fees. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 11: Detective StrayaM8
Level 11: Detective

Re: Australia

If this was the norm and not the rare exception, telstra would have gone out of business years ago. 

If you were charged for Stay Connected while you didnt have a device on a payment plan (hence it being illegible) then you should absolutely be able to get that credited, your paying for device assurance you'd never be able to cash in.

I agree that $90 for 5GB is very poor value, the plan wouldnt have been revised in years. That said, its not telstra's responsibility to ensure that customers are up to date on their plans. Its only when a plan gets completely removed from the systems entirely that customers are forcibly moved to an in market plan.

Level 23: Superhero

Under the new Responsible Lending Act, following the banking Royal Commission, we have customers here complaining that they have to have credit checks for new plans etc etc.

Telstra certainly must be observing the Responsible Lending requirements.

I have never been hung up on, possibly because I'm polite.

Re deals, make your comparisions, that's why we have competition.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Overcharged6000

@Antitelstra wrote:

To anyone considering joining with Telstra, beware! 

They do not provide updates on best deals (Charging $90 per month for 5gb to people with mental health illness)  

Charging monthly fees for ‘Staying connected’ - to illegible customers.

- Poor customer service, they don’t answer questions and hang up on you. (Doesn’t pay to dispute fees) 

- Drags out TIO complaints 

- Would highly recommend checking your bill to ensure you’re getting the best deal and that that are not charging hidden fees. 

Very recently I found out that Telstra has been billing me FOR 4 YEARS for a service that I haven't been using. I'd gotten a new service and they didn't disconnect the old one. Their complaints department got in touch and offered me 1 years credit that I refused. Unfortunately now it's in the hands of the Ombudsman. I was told that it was my responsibility to ensure the old service was disconnected. Telstra is the only provider I've ever had and oddly this jssue has never occurred before. Now they owe me money it's MY fault. Early days yet but I'm warning everyone to be wary. I didn't pick it up because I trusted them --- silly me

BenzBitz

I have been in a similar situation to that mentioned here also.

You mentioned Telstra Crediting the overcharged amounts to the account but I have numerous issues with this:

1) In my experience, it takes on average between 3 & 5 seperate contacts with Telstra representatives to have issues such as this resolved. The Telstra staff who insist on making one revisit the entire situation on each occasion are getting paid for their time, the customer however is never reimbursed for the 3-7 hours spent attempting to recoup funds Telstra should never have billed in the first place.

2) Overcharge on a bill may not seem like a great deal of money to many people but for those of us less well off, it can be the difference between having petrol money to get to work or not. Furthermore, if I as a consumer was to borrow funds equal to those over billed by Telstra for the period it takes for resolution to take place, I would have to pay SUBSTANTIAL interest, Telstra however has use of these funds with no penalty, interest or understanding of why customers might find it hypocritical.

3) Once a customer has spoken to countless different representatives, told the same story every time, been hung up on (deliberately or during interdepartmental transfers) 2-3 times, been told they're wrong only to be 100% vindicated, Telstra still doesn't return the funds to the client, they are credited to their account. The customer had to pay cash to ensure continuity of service but even if the amount in error is several months worth of bills, Telstra NEVER reimburses the client in the same way the client was obliged to pay the bill.

I understand that this would all be covered in the T's&C's but when one has had to go through all of that just to get what one knows is rightfully theirs, it is completely understandable for customers to feel "ripped off" & taken advantage of. I imagine these feelings would be amplified if one were to suffer a mental illness too.

Even worse, most Telstra representatives only ever offer insincere, patronizing and begrudgingly given apologies.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain jhwiz
Level 9: Captain

They’re in a lot of trouble actually if you get a new service and they disconnect your old one instead of recontracting your existing illegible service. You signed to a particular contract, the onus is not on Telstra to approach you with a better plan.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Overcharged6000

I checked my Telstra account today and pleased to say that I've been credited the full amount that I've been overcharged over the last 4 years. I'd spoken to 2 people(and lodged a complain with the TIO).before it was sorted.  I'm a pensioner and money is tight so all I can say is thank you telstra. Problem sorted tho unfortunately I shouldn't have needed to take the matter to the Ombudsman. I'll be checking my bill from now on. I gotta say this experience left me very annoyed as I've only ever had the one provider,EVER

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit