CrowdSupport®
YP14
Level 1: Cadet

Can an sms contain malware when it has no links

Answered

I received a text from "Verify" with the message "Use #### as microsoft account security code"

This text was unsolicited and in fact I never gave microsoft my mobile number.

I did open the text to read it. It doesn't appear to contain any links.

The question is "Can a text message/sms contain any malware, that just opening will execute?"

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Can an sms contain malware when it has no links

@YP14

The message sounds legitimate, and I base this on my own experience with resetting access passwords and 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) for Microsoft accounts. (such as Hotmail/Windows Live Emails, XBox accounts, etc).

These SMS's are usually triggered if you have an account tagged and you attempt to reset the password or have 2FA enabled.

There is also the possibility that someone may have typo'd their own number on their account which has triggered an SMS to go to you.

It's pretty safe to ignore the SMS and delete it.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Not that I'm aware of.  It sounds like someone has set up their microsoft account to use your mobile number for their 2 factor login.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@YP14

The message sounds legitimate, and I base this on my own experience with resetting access passwords and 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) for Microsoft accounts. (such as Hotmail/Windows Live Emails, XBox accounts, etc).

These SMS's are usually triggered if you have an account tagged and you attempt to reset the password or have 2FA enabled.

There is also the possibility that someone may have typo'd their own number on their account which has triggered an SMS to go to you.

It's pretty safe to ignore the SMS and delete it.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit