Highlighted
Tkcaruana
Level 2: Rookie

Cannot enable WiFi tethering xperia z2

Answered
Hi all. I made the switch to Telstra last week and since my service has been active I can no longer enable WiFi tethering on my Sony xperia z2. I was with Iinet and constantly tether my mobile so I can access my laptop internet while out, but now I constantly get the error on my phone "error occurred during tethering" when I enable WiFi tethering on my phone. I have not changed any settings on my mobile, the only thing that is different is my carrier is now Telstra. Please help. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot enable WiFi tethering xperia z2

Strange, had a quick search on the net and they talk about having ",dun" (omit quote) to the APN settings. Still looking....

Source

Cheers,
Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

Hi there,

Don't suppose you've check the APN settings in the device? It should read telstra.wap

Cheers,
Dave

Tkcaruana

Hi Caaf, 

yes the telstra.wap is my selected APN.

Accepted Solution

Strange, had a quick search on the net and they talk about having ",dun" (omit quote) to the APN settings. Still looking....

Source

Cheers,
Dave

Tkcaruana

Hi Caaf,

I cannot edit my telstra.wap APN as the edit settings are greyed out, however I can create a new APN if i have the details? And can try and add the ",dun" to it.
Tkcaruana

As an update I just created a user APN copying all the details from my telstra.wap one, but added the ",dun" and voila! Tethering is working! What does the ",dun" command actually do? And why is this only an issue with my Telstra service?

Hey thanks for getting back..

DUN stands for Dial Up Network/ing.

It's funny that it's even needed it. Maybe it's just the way the firmware/software works.. I certainly can't explain the need for the additional text as I would've thought it would've been embedded.. Still very happy that you're up and running again Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now