Highlighted
Caroline12
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Changing from BigPond to Telstra

Answered

I have been on a BigPond Mobile Broadband Plan for almost 2 years and wanted to change to the cheaper Telstra 4g data for $35 but was told I would need another modem. I have the BigPond Ultimate at the moment. Can someone explain why in plain english please? Thank you

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Changing from BigPond to Telstra

Can someone explain why in plain english please?

BigPond Mobile Broadband equipment can only work with BigPond Mobile Broadband services, and vice versa; that's just the way the system was set up. There is no switch for the customer service consultant or even network engineer to just flick and allow you to use your current modem on a Telstra Mobile Broadband service, even if he/she wanted to let you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent
Accepted Solution

Bigpond mobile broadband devices uses a login and password to access network, Telstra mobile broadband works through a USIM (Which has a mobile number) to access the network.

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Caroline12
Accepted Solution

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Can someone explain why in plain english please?

BigPond Mobile Broadband equipment can only work with BigPond Mobile Broadband services, and vice versa; that's just the way the system was set up. There is no switch for the customer service consultant or even network engineer to just flick and allow you to use your current modem on a Telstra Mobile Broadband service, even if he/she wanted to let you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent
Accepted Solution

Bigpond mobile broadband devices uses a login and password to access network, Telstra mobile broadband works through a USIM (Which has a mobile number) to access the network.

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Caroline12

Just wanted to say I managed to change from BigPond Mobile Broadband with an ultimate modem to prepaid telstra Smiley Happy There is info in the telstra website as to how to do this. I would send a link but unfortunately can't find it again. I have saved the pdf . Very simple
Caroline12
Accepted Solution

Well done Caroline12 and thanks for sharing the link with us, very informative  Smiley Happy 

Deanna

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Want a Big Gigaboost?

Get a Massive 10GB Bonus on Select Lease Plans.

Find out more