CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Cost to call from home mobile to roaming mobile on cruise ship

I will be taking my mobile phone (on a Telstra post-paid plan, with International Roaming) on a cruise in the South Pacific. I can find out what it will cost me to ring from a cruise ship (in Destinations), but nothing about what it costs if my husband rings me from home on his mobile (on the same plan).

I seem to remember that the caller pays normal mobile charge (or free in free time) and the receiver overseas pays the Roaming charges, but I can't find that anywhere on the site and when I tried calling Telstra (two long calls) all I got were different answers and was told the caller from home had to pay International rates depending on the country and had to dial 0011 or something... they insisted on knowing the country, but we'll be at sea for 7 days....

I was also told the calls to the Roaming mobile were charged over and above my $20 Included Calls, but don't remember that.

Am I correct that the caller pays normal mobile rate (and the traveller pays the Roaming costs?), and that the normal Included Calls and Free Hour apply?  

I'm sure I'm not the first person who has wanted to call someone travelling overseas (or even on a cruise) with a Roaming mobile on Telstra plan.... can anyone help, please ??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Cost to call from home mobile to roaming mobile on cruise ship

all I got were different answers and was told the caller from home had to pay International rates depending on the country and had to dial 0011 or something... they insisted on knowing the country, but we'll be at sea for 7 days....

They were right to insist. The International Roaming rates at which you will be charged to receive calls depends on the country you're in, or at least the country of the network from which you are connected at the time. If you don't know (because you'll “be at sea”), then surely you agree it's up to you and not them to find out to which country's network you'll be connecting when the ship is where at sea?

I was also told the calls to the Roaming mobile were charged over and above my $20 Included Calls, but don't remember that.

Check the details of your plan. (See below.)

Am I correct that the caller pays normal mobile rate (and the traveller pays the Roaming costs?), …

Telstra's International Roaming pocket guide (the link to which found on Telstra's International Roaming travelling tips page) states,

People in Australia can dial your mobile number normally and the call will be forwarded to you.

The caller will pay their normal mobile call rate. The international forwarding will be billed to you at your International Roaming rate.

…and that the normal Included Calls and Free Hour apply?  

That's up to each caller to confirm what his or her particular mobile plan's inclusions are, by consulting the corresponding My Offer Summary document or the relevant part(s) of Our Customer Terms, etc.

I'm sure I'm not the first person who has wanted to call someone travelling overseas (or even on a cruise) with a Roaming mobile on Telstra plan....

You didn't state which particular plan you and your husband are on – “a Telstra post-paid plan” is not the name of a plan, does not lead any of us to being able to pinpoint it – and I don't want to play guessing games this morning.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my points, but I don't know that you've addressed them:

"surely you agree it's up to you and not them to find out to which country's network you'll be connecting when the ship is where at sea?"

Um no... I don't know the exact route the ship will take between islands-  I doubt the cruise line would tell me that, it can vary depending on weather.... if Telstra can tell me the "Cruise Ship" call rates, wouldn't the same network be used to receive calls..?

It all sounds academic anyhow, if  "The caller will pay their normal mobile call rate"... I saw that little phrase but if they're just charged for a normal call when ringing my mobile overseas generally, why was I asked/told all the extra stuff? It really doesn't add up.

My mobile plan isn't really relevant except that the service isn't available for pre-paid plans; the crucial element is whether the "roaming" phone takes all the extra costs, which would be regardless of plan.

I guess I just have to go by that one little mention in writing - "The caller will pay their normal mobile call rate", and ignore what I was told when I enquired. 

Oops... Internet has dropped out (only wireless way out here in Melbourne suburbs) ... I'll post this when I can re-connectSmiley Wink

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Um no... I don't know the exact route the ship will take between islands-  I doubt the cruise line would tell me that, it can vary depending on weather.... if Telstra can tell me the "Cruise Ship" call rates, wouldn't the same network be used to receive calls..?

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the Cruise Ship Services roaming rates will apply for the entirety of your voyage, especially if the ship is going to be visiting any ports. To which cellular mobile network your handset will connect is outside of Telstra's control.

My mobile plan isn't really relevant except that the service isn't available for pre-paid plans; the crucial element is whether the "roaming" phone takes all the extra costs, which would be regardless of plan.

You wanted to know whether the included calls (or call allowance) on your plan will cover roaming charges, and while there is a general answer to that question, the proper way to answer it requires a quick review the terms and conditions of the specific post-paid plan. I certainly don't know all the several dozen post-paid Telstra Mobile plans (that are still in operation today) by heart to be able to say roaming charges are not covered in plan inclusions for any of them, and like I said, I don't particularly feel like guessing which plan it is based on the “$20 Included Calls” feature alone.

Similarly, “Free Hour” is a feature that is available and/or applies to certain post-paid plans only.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Thanks for responding again.

I've checked the Terms of my mobile plan ($20 mobile member plan) and as I knew I can't use the included calls whilst overseas but it says "Bonus Options only apply to calls or texts within Australia.", so if the caller is making a normal call to my phone but I am picking up roaming charges, it's not clear.  It's not that important, but I did want to know what the call costs from Australia were- I'll assume they're normal rates.

I found  links to "Calling Overseas From Your Mobile"

and  "International Roaming"  - http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-rates

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/travelling-tips/

but all I get from the links is a blank page.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the Cruise Ship Services roaming rates will apply for the entirety of your voyage, especially if the ship is going to be visiting any ports. To which cellular mobile network your handset will connect is outside of Telstra's control.

Earlier I found an Itinerary Builder which gave "Cruise Ship" as a destination and it had definite rates of calls from the ship... there was no mention of what area of the world, and I think I read that there are separate Maritime roaming rates-  Optus and Vodaphone use a Maritime system according to their sites, so I guess Telstra does- just can't find it. I'll look later on in case the links on the Telstra siteare working.  

Ports are a different issue, and I'll check the carrier on my phone for cheaper rates if near a port Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

short answer someone in Australia calls your Australian mobile phone wherever you are in the world the caller pays the same rate is they would if you were back in Australia

I believe cruise ships have their own roaming rate which would apply when you're on the boat, if you pickup a network other than that though, onshore, near shore or whatever than that countries rate would apply

never been on a cruise but the feedback I've seen from people using mobiles on a ship is that it would have been cheaper to buy another ticket and bring your friend along (hellishly expensive)

not sure if cruise ships have the same deal as any other country but SMS (not MMS) when travelling is a cheap way to keep in touch, free to receive (check if this applies to the boat though) and pay to send (50c per standard message from memory, but suggest checking)

I wouldn't contemplate using data while roaming at sea, see if the boat offers WiFi instead, even if a paid service at exorbitant rates it will still be less than roaming data on your phone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

HI Catherine,

If you are going to be using the Cruise Ship's onboard service, then you can type CRUISE SHIP SERVICES into the Country tab at http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/pricing-compatibility/

Current rates are as follows:

Cruise Ship Services

Voice or video calls within this country$3.87 per min
Voice or video calls to Australia$4.07 per min
Voice or video calls to another country$3.37 per min
Receive voice or video calls in this country$1.07 per min (including 8c per min airtime charge)
+ 40c set up fee
Send SMS75c
Retrieve SMSFree
Send MMS75c per message plus standard data charges
MessageBank® retrievalStandard charges apply. View more information
Data Roaming Charges1.5c per kB ($15.36 per MB)
Network and frequencyNetwork Frequency / Availability
2G850/900/1800/1900
3GNot available
4GNot available
Data RoamingYes

You are correct. The person calling you (the A-Party) pays whatever they would normally pay on their plan to call you if you were in Australia. You pay to connect the call from Australia to wherever you are.

If you arent using the On-Board Service supplied by your ship, then you would need to consult each individual possible country.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit