CrowdSupport®
TiffyLee
Level 1: Cadet

Credit check

I applied for a new phone contract over telstra chat I was approved for the credit check but telstra declined me... I was wondering if anyone else has had this before?

My credit score is not bad, I am not owing money anywhere, I also have no defaults.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Credit check

@TiffyLee wrote:

I applied for a new phone contract over telstra chat I was approved for the credit check but telstra declined me... I was wondering if anyone else has had this before?

My credit score is not bad, I am not owing money anywhere, I also have no defaults.

@TiffyLee Have you obtained a copy of your credit report? There may be something showing that you are not aware of?

A credit score doesn't tell everything.

More information on how to obtain a report can be found at https://consumeraction.org.au/resources-and-toolkits/how-do-i-get-a-free-copy-of-my-credit-report/ 

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Level 11: Detective StrayaM8
Level 11: Detective

Telstras application process for a new mobile handset has a lot to do not only with the credit report they pull from third parties, but also your payment history with them as well as customer tenure. 

Recently, prompted by customer protection law updates, Telstra has put a system in place that will knock back any application for a handset if the customer has not been an established customer for at least 6 months, regardless of credit history. Could this be applicable to you?

Level 9: Captain jhwiz
Level 9: Captain

Hi @StrayaM8 this applies only to applications made over live chat, over the phone or placed online (to prevent fraud from non established customers).

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit