Highlighted
walehman
Level 3: Gumshoe

Data Pack - how and when do I get to use the data after I purchase online

Answered

Today I purchased a 1gb data pack which is additional to my post paid plan's 1 gb of data. There was no information on the purchase page as to how this data is supplied. So I would like to know how and when I can get to use the data in the pack.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
walehman
Accepted Solution

Re: Data Pack - how and when do I get to use the data after I purchase online

Thanks for your advice I will wait and see what my bill says. If I have been additionally charged then I will want to know what happened to my remaining MBs from the first 1 GB. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Waleman,

Your additional 1GB of data is accessed the same way you access your existing data allowance. Basically with that extra data pack it means you will have 2GB of standard data allowance to use each month- so it will only be after you use that initial 1GB that your extra pack will kick in and take over automatically

hope that helps but let me know if you need any more clarification Smiley Happy
Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Level 22: Superhuman

Exactly what JCKH said.

It is unfortunate that, on the Data Pack page on Telstra's web site, it does not describe what is actually being purchased as a “mobile data (usage) allowance”, but

… a Data Pack gives you a set amount of data each month for a monthly fee.

which is semantically incorrect. You don't actually buy data, or even data usage, with a Data Pack; you buy a data usage allowance of X MB for a given period, such that the first X MB of your actual data usage recorded in that period – upon review after the period has concluded – does not incur extra charges.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
walehman

Thank you for the clarification Drat. What I am actually trying to establish is if my additional 1gb data usage allowance has been recorded on my account immediately so as to avoid excess data usage as my first 1gb is just about used up. There is no record of the purchase on 'my account'  (online) at this time.

walehman

I have received an email from telstraonlineteam@telstra.com.au in which it is stated:

"Other purchases
If you’ve purchased one of our bundled offers, data packs or other plans, you’ll find these are automatically added to the telephone account you specified at the time of your order."

I suggest this statement be placed on the actual purchase page or made easily available before purchase.

I will confirm this resolves my issue once 'my account' has been updated to reflect the additional 1gb data.

I assume this will be tomorrow.

walehman

I have just now received an sms from 17686 - to quote: "Your data allowance has been changed. Your new monthly data allowance is 1GB"

It should read 2 GB. I am annoyingly confused.

walehman wrote:

I have just now received an sms from 17686 - to quote: "Your data allowance has been changed. Your new monthly data allowance is 1GB"

Which post-paid Telstra Mobile plan do you have? Is it a Next G Cap plan, Freedom Connect plan, or Every Day Connect plan (or something else)?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
walehman

Hello JCKH I have just again accessed 'my account' which now says in (Usage section) that I have used 0 of 1 GB allowance - my first 1 GB has disappeared - so contrary to your opinion it would seem that I have 'lost'my first 1gb. There is no mention of any further allowance.

This needs to be fixed. I have waited a long time to attempt to make contact with Telstra to change my current set-up knowing that it would not go smoothly,

Also in the process I have been duped into accepting an online bill which I was notified by email. I do not want an online bill, did not apply for one and have now cancelled this. So much run around....

walehman

Hello Drat

thank you for responding further. I was busy typing when your last post arrived so didn't see before I posted my last.

I have Next G cap plan

walehman

And I request Telstra to return the balance of my first 1 GB...............

walehman wrote:

I have Next G cap plan

The Next G Cap plans already include a Data Pack component (to provide the ‘in-plan’ amount of monthly mobile data allowance); in your case, your plan has a 1GB Data Pack, and so what the system thinks you've done is to replace it with… a 1GB Data Pack. Hence your total included monthly mobile data allowance is 1GB, as far as the system is concerned. (The total price of your plan has not changed.)

Freedom Connect plans and Every Day Connect plans do not use the same mechanism, and any Data Pack you select would be considered additional, and not used as a replacement.

——

walehman

So if I understand from what you are saying I can do the same each month and not be additionally charged for an additional 1 GB?

As far as I'm aware.

——

walehman
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your advice I will wait and see what my bill says. If I have been additionally charged then I will want to know what happened to my remaining MBs from the first 1 GB. 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now