Highlighted
Vieuphoria
Level 1: Cadet

Downgrading plan

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me

My sister has only recently signed up to telstra, and appears to have maybe incorrectly chosen a plan that doesn't suit her usage

at the moment she is on a $80 with iPhone 5 32gig and seems to use more data that phone calls, is there anyway to downgrade to say the $60 plan and then add another gig of data?

I just tried online chat but they were useless, advised I could do it, if I paid $2132 in cancellation fees ??? not sure how that is a downgrade, rather than just a straight cancellation fee. I was just curious if it was possible for a fee?

If its not thats ok, thought i might jst find out first

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Downgrading plan

Hence go on the lowest contracted plan as at least then you can go up and down.. Sadly I think the only way is up with regards to your sister contract.

Cheers,
Dave

Level 23: Superhero

Re: Downgrading plan

Generally speaking when you contract you can move up in the plan table, and then back down to your original contracted plan, but you can't move down without paying a cost.

This is partly because the handset costs/MRO are based on the contracted plan. Otherwise people would sign up to the highest plan to get the cheapest handset cost, then immediately downgrade to a cheaper plan.

The only way I could think would be to look at an early recontract, but the handset costs might still be significant and there is an administration fee involved, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The other option is to look at adding an additional data pack to the account, though this also has a cost.
http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/plans-rates/data-packs-australia/
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now