levold79
Level 2: Rookie

Galaxy S3 restarting and freezing

Hi. My Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300T   has started either randomly restarting, freezing or turning off  multiple times a day. I have to remove the battery and replace it to get it to start again. All the buttons are unresponsive otherwise.

I took it in to where I got it on tuesday. They gave it a firmware update and said that should fix it. 

It worked normal again until Friday, (less than 2 days).

I tried to see if a firmware update was needed again, but it wasn't. So I decided to factory reset it.  Within half an hour it was playing up again, even with the bare minimum apps installed.

So now I have no idea what to do? I have had it for 7 months now and am on a 24 month plan.

Will Telstra replace it?  Anyone else have these issues? 

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Lex
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Galaxy S3 restarting and freezing

My partner and I have exactly the same problem, and it started about a week ago.

Our SGS 3's randomly freeze, restart or switch off. Sometimes it'll do more than one at once - for example, my phone will freeze while it's restarting.

We have factory re-set as well, but this has not fixed the problem Smiley Sad

levold79

Is yours a gti-9300T or a gti-9300?
Lex

It's the GT-I9300

Support Team
Support Team

Sounds to me as though your handset may need to be sent into the National Repair Centre for a Warranty Assessment =S. The store who have been helping you out with this would be able to send the handset off for you and explain how the whole process works. -Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MyTechie

This is your primary handset right?

I'd recommend seeing a Samsung Experience store first, as they can best assist you in replacing the i9300T in a swifter manner.

Please make sure you have a copy of your warranty documentation. Any Telstra store would be happy in assisting you in printing this out for you. You might also need to book an appointment too, depending on availability.

Cheers,

Patrick.

solanum
Level 3: Gumshoe

Mine is the same. It is a common problem with the S3 and there is no fix other than to buy a different phone right now. Go to the Play store and download eMMC Brickbug check (this was originally for the S2, but will report what eMMC you have in your phone). 10:1 it says you have an 'insane' controller. ie an eMMC with a firmware bug. The only thing you can do to help is download the 'dummy file generator' from the Play store and use that. This fills your device up until it freezes (you may need to do it more than once), you can then clear the files and in my case I have a big improvement (but not perfect).

The eMMC is messing up blocks in the storage which then crash the device when used. Using the dummy file generator supposedly results in the hardware marking these blocks as unusable, so the phone doesn't use them and less creashes.

If you take it in they will only replace the board with the same one and the same thing will happen. It was a part fix for the 'sudden death' problem (which I had and had the mainboard replaced under warranty by Telstra). We can only hope that Samsung eventually fix it with 4.2.2 and Telstra actually get it out there quick.

melpoc

Hi,

We had the same issues about 6 months in our phones started doing exactly the same thing.  After a lot of complaining we have had the phones replaced with different phones.  Not samsung phones as this experience left a sour taste.  Will not go samsung again, should have stayed with the iphone but everyone said the galaxy was so good.

Good luck.

levold79

yes it gets the insane chip message.  Smiley Sad  

solanum

the dummy file generator does help, though it is a pain and takes a while and your phone crashes and you have to keep resetting it (press and hold power button till it reboots), but it doesn't fix the problem as more dodgy blocks will build up again. It is a pretty big problem for Samsung to just ignore, but perhaps it is just a small proportion of us over here in Aus that have the chip with the dodgy firmware so they don't care enough (the US phones use a different mainboard for instance).

levold79

Could it be a fault of using a SanDisk 32 or 64GB memory card. I heard that they admited that some do cause issues with Samsung phones.  Does anyone else who has the problem use these cards?

solanum

Yeah, I heard that before, but if you take the microsd card out I still have the problem....

levold79

Took it into the telstra dealer i got it from, and its getting sent away to hopefully get fixed...

The people in the store had never heard of the sudden death or freezing issue.

Hope they dont send it back  un fixed and bill me $50. THEN i will be through with telstra.

Am i right that even if the same type of card is put back in, the newer firmware should prevent the problems from re occuring?

solanum

Hopefully the next version of the firmware will fix it, but it isn't out yet. When my phone had the 'sudden death' thing they replaced the mainboard, I guess with yours they'll replace the mainboard or re-flash. I would imagine both will fix it for a time but it will revert back to where it is at unless the mainboard has a different eMMC controller. When they replaced mine it was with one exactly the same.

I would be very surprised if they do nothing, the shop staff always deny knowledge of anything wrong with the phones, but the tech guys will know about it.

I nearly took mine back today, but I head overseas tomorrow and can't decide whether a dodgy phone is better or worse than an old phone that doesn't do much...

Let us know your result, especially if they replace the mainboard, install the emmcbug check app again and let us know if it has a new controller or is still an 'insane' one. Then we can all demand it! Good luck.

levold79

So basically they factory reset and re installed the software, cleaned connectors and re alligned pins  and sent it back to me.. I give it 2 weeks max before it starts messing up again. Still has the exact same insane chip it had before. They didn't even change it with a new one.  I told them that i had factory reset it before sending it in and it was only 'good' for less than a fortnight.  

Now i just hope it doesnt stay good for 90 days then messes up again when im holidaying in Europe. 

solanum

My phone became completely unusable so I took it in to Telstra, haven't picked it up yet, but I'm told they have put a new mainbaord in. Here's hoping it is one with a different chip...

jeffwats

I have exactly the same problem. My Telstra Galaxy S3 randomly reboots or freezes. Can be multiple times per day. It's driving me round the twist. Come on Telstra and Samsung, according to the forums, people all over the world are having this same problem with no solution. Please do something! !
solanum

Take it in to Telstra, the new main board they put in mine does not have the dodgy flash chip controller and it now works fine, plus it shouldn't go wrong again.
jeffwats

That's encouraging. My phone has the insane chip according to the test. I will go see Telstra and hopefully they will cooperate.
Question: Does anyone know whether the S4 is effected by this issue?
solanum

The S4 won't have the same chip controller and I haven't heard of any similar problems. It was only a certain batch of the 16GB S3. Yes, my new board has a 'sane' chip according to the test (the old one was 'insane'), so I'm hoping all will be good.
MelonHead

Mine started playing up a couple of weeks ago, the odd freezing up and needing the battery pulled out. Now it's 5 times in 30 mins. It came up with 'insane' so I tried the dummy file generator. Fingers crossed! Smiley LOL

solanum

That's a short term and incomplete fix. take it in to Telstra, they are now fitting boards without the bad controller.
Jabbyep

My samsung galaxy s3 has been freezing many many times a day and with each new day the problem got worse. My problem was I had not deleted any messages for over 13 month since I first got my new mobile. Once deleted these messages the mobile has not missed a beat ever since.
wendoze

Hmmm, mine has been doing it for months and I've been 'living with it', but I've already missed my alarm twice now because of an overnight freeze/reboot. I'm going to do the eMMC bug test, and take it to a Telstra shop if it comes up I have it. I must do because the symptoms described here are pretty much spot on. Sigh. It's very frustrating!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi levold79,

I would advice you take it in to a telstra shop/point of purchase for further tests and repair. The handset should still be under warranty so if possible carry your proof of purchase/documentation with you.

Victor

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

matty_tisko

Im in the same position here. My hadset started freezing/restarting again last week. It's now happening an at least 10-12 times per day. Telstra Shop have already replaced the handset twice! This is really starting to get frustrating. If i take it back, they're just going to send it away to be reset once again, aren't they??

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now