Erik1975
Level 3: Gumshoe

MMS and data relationship

Ive tried discussing this issue with mobile customer service/tech support i and off over the past several years. They either have no idea what i am talking about or dispute that it was ever possible. I myself am a tech nut and worked in IT/mobile neworks for several years.
I am unable to send receive mms with data disabled on the device. This has been the case for my galaxy s4 and s6. My previous 2 phones were the HTC sensation and HTC desire. They also were unable to send receive mms with data disabled HOWEVER all previous phones were able to including high and low end nokia handsets with data disabled. Any phone that was pre smart phone was able to send receive mms without data enabled. The older handsets data would turn on automatically for the purpose of both sending and receiving mms only and then switch off data again immediately. This also seems to be the case around the world from multiple carriers across numerous handses.
I think its more than appropriate that an adequate answer be supplied as to why the above is the case and also if it is just the telcos way of raising more revenue by having to keep data enabled all the time which is then wasted on background services updating as well as apps!!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: MMS and data relationship

Hi Erik1975,
I understand what you are talking about.
I remember this happening when i had Nokia mobiles (pre smartphones).
I never had my data turned on back in those days.
I also remember ring Telstra about my bill one time. It showed that I had used date to receive an mms. They said that I wasn't charged for it though, that's just how it showed on the bill😀
I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Erik1975

Yup. They charge 50c for the MMS which comes out of your call and MMS allowance and then charge you for the amount of data which is associated with the file size of the MMS. Thats double charging. I understand that an MMS is basically data but they shouldnt double dip. Even Optus' plans offer unlimited txt and MMS as part of their plans........
I will admit that Optus has much better data deals BUT i would prefer to have less data allowance but better bandwidth and data speeds..
Hence why ive stayed with Telstra since 1998
Erik1975

I think from memory that back in the day that telstra had by default 5 or 10mb included in the plans that were not charged for. But the camera phones back than had extremely poor resolution and the pics were only about 100kb in size. MMS was 75c back then of I'm not mistaken
Level 24: Supreme Being

On the new plans, MMS are included, so no more 50c per MMS charges on the Go plans... which is nice...

I would think it would be an OS thing, because I know a person who always has their data off, and their MMS still come through on Windows Phone, and a friend with the HTC One Max is the same... but others aren't.... which would suggest an OS restriction combined with the network restriction for MMS to only work over the mobile data network...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Erik1975

Thanks Drqwerty. Thats the best response i have ever gotten. Pity the call centre staff or stores have absolutely no idea. When i hacked both the htc sensation and the desire they allowed for mms without the data being on. Not sure on iphones as i would rather choo my hand off than use one. So yes i agree it is both OS and the network. I also realise that the telcos do make agreements with manufacturers on specs over the network. Some android dont need data and some do for mms. I would chamge my plan to the equivalent new versions but telstra regards that as breaking the contract. Funny that optus doesnt charge for moving to an equivalent new type plan.....

No a lot of the time they don't have any idea. Which leads to a lot of frustration, believe me understand... This is my life every time our internet dies.

iOS is the same, in jail broken iOS you can select an option which leave data on for mms ecen when the data is off.

Given I can find the issue occurring on most major networks, AT&T in the us, T-mobile, vf, o2, I would say it is likely something that the carriers have likely not even considered and if the manufacturer has it on they have it on, and if they have it off it is off. There is random information about random phones being able to do it though, which is a little odd that it is only certain phones.

Yeah, if you have a phone on the plan it triggers the phone in one lump sum repayment. Although, it as been a couple of years, but last time I dealt with Optus about changing a plan it was half was through a contract and to move to the new plans they had brought out it, at the time, the same deal that you had to pay out the device... It is highly possible it has changed since though.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now