CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
brett_p
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile Internet - Proxy server error messages today?

Hi, I've been getting proxy server error messages today, that I have never got before. 

HTC Mozart with WP7.5 Mango, internet sharing enabled.  Win7 SP1 laptop with IE9.  Sydney CBD location but I saw it while roaming earlier today as well so it's not cell specific.

When I browse to a site that uses a large cookie, I get a 400 Bad Request page shown.

The error shown is:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

(cookie contents)

Apache Server at ngphm3fe09.tmof.in.telstra.com.au Port 3128

Yes, the cookie payload is big, but it is unlikely to have changed.  It's a well known website that I use every day.  Removing the cookie doesn't help, it recreates it the same next time I try to open the site.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Mobile Internet - Proxy server error messages today?

Hi Brett,

First of all welcome to Crowd Support!

Just to clarify you're using the portable hotspot feature of your HTC Mozart to provide internet to your laptop and getting the issue with the laptop? Have you tried another computer or browser and are still receiving the error? I'd also reccomend powering off and on the phone if you believe it's an issue with the mobile network. Last of all perhaps try to default your browser although you may have already isolated the issue to be something else at this point. Hope this helps.

Lathania

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I am using Internet Sharing on the Mozart and connecting the PC to that.

I know the issue lies on the Telstra side. When I connect to a different network point the issue goes away (I'm at home now and refreshing the tab with the same URL works fine).  I don't have a second laptop to confirm the issue is not just my PC, but certainly when I change connection away from the mobile it works so I am pretty comfortable reaching the conclusion that it's not me.  Oh and the error message clearly states a Telstra proxy URL  Smiley Happy 

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@brett_p wrote:

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I am using Internet Sharing on the Mozart and connecting the PC to that.

I know the issue lies on the Telstra side. When I connect to a different network point the issue goes away (I'm at home now and refreshing the tab with the same URL works fine).  I don't have a second laptop to confirm the issue is not just my PC, but certainly when I change connection away from the mobile it works so I am pretty comfortable reaching the conclusion that it's not me.  Oh and the error message clearly states a Telstra proxy URL  Smiley Happy 

Your correct that its a proxy issue...... How big is the cookie that its trying to save?

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

brett_p

OK, so besides the fact that I don't think that's relevant ......

The cookie on disk is 178 bytes.  The full payload that's being passed is larger, there are some other locale and search history passed back too.

But what is the right number to set a limit at?  Surely a "transparent proxy" is not meant to interfere with what is meant to be occurring?  And perhaps it's just a fluke that this happened yesterday and not before (perhaps the website started adding additional parameters, who knows).  It's a website I use a LOT when I am running off my phone, so it's something that I would have hit before.  There's either a problem with that particular proxy server (new behaviour for same interaction) or a change that now brings this to a head.

Whether the "change" is a Telstra issue or not, it seems obvious to me that Telstra are the ones who can (should) address the issue by changing their proxy configs, as they can't control how large a payload a cookie will be.  Putting a limit, any limit, on a transparent proxy seems to make not a lot of sense.

Level 21: Augmented

which APN are you using?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
brett_p

APN? Hmmm, "the default".  As far as I can see there is no specific APN defined.

Edit for extra info. 

This is a standard Telstra branded Mozart, and a new SIM.

Ben_F

@brett_p wrote:

APN? Hmmm, "the default".  As far as I can see there is no specific APN defined.

Edit for extra info. 

This is a standard Telstra branded Mozart, and a new SIM.

In the Wireless Settings on the Device, there may be an option for APN or Network Settings. The APN is usually telstra.iph or telstra.internet.

I've flicked a PM to a guy on here who is pretty good with Windows Phones, and I'll see if I can pull him over to offer some help Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

brett_p

Thanks Ben.

I can confirm, still a problem.  ngpwz3fe13.tmof.in.telstra.com.au Port 3128 still reporting the error.

As for the APN, my point was that I haven't done any specific APN setup.  The default OOBE is all I have set up, as there was no APN listed in the mobile network setup.  There is a way to define an additional one (requires APN, Username, Password, Proxy server/URL and proxy port) and since I have no idea what user/pwd might be needed I've not tried the two you mention.

Level 17: Bureau Chief

As for the APN, my point was that I haven't done any specific APN setup.  The default OOBE is all I have set up, as there was no APN listed in the mobile network setup.  There is a way to define an additional one (requires APN, Username, Password, Proxy server/URL and proxy port) and since I have no idea what user/pwd might be needed I've not tried the two you mention.

Telstra's APNs don't require anything in the config other than the name. No username, no password, no proxy. Some phones ask about authentication mechanism and choosing CHAP seems to be the way to go. But I've never had to do so.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Level 17: Bureau Chief

As best I can see, on the WP7 side - the only reason you would be seeing this error is if there is a corrupted cookie in the IE on your mobile. Try settings/clearhistory and see if the site opens OK under the same conditions it was failing under.

If not this - then perhaps it's network/Telstra side.  If you ever want to experiment with APNs - this AU site keeps the best list of them for all carriers: http://ausdroid.net/apns/

GL.

(PS why is this not in the WP7 forum section?)

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Windows 8 and Surface fan! FORMER Telstra Customer (adios lol).

If you like my Microsoft (WP/Win8) posts here, consider Kudos+1

Check me out on Twitter - WP_DownUnder - I don't come around here no more.
brett_p

Thanks WP, but the issue is evident on the PC not on WP7.  The WP7 is only the internet sharing point.  The browser I'm referring to is IE9 on my Win7 machine.

So right now I've not got the error - woo hoo - although it did occur when I posted earlier this morning.  I did also sign out of one of the related sites which may have reduced the cookie payload, so it may have been an "accident" or many other things (including hitting a different proxy that doesn't have the same limit, or a change Telstra have done to address this).  I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will try alternate APNs.

Ben_F

@brett_p wrote:

Thanks WP, but the issue is evident on the PC not on WP7.  The WP7 is only the internet sharing point.  The browser I'm referring to is IE9 on my Win7 machine.

So right now I've not got the error - woo hoo - although it did occur when I posted earlier this morning.  I did also sign out of one of the related sites which may have reduced the cookie payload, so it may have been an "accident" or many other things (including hitting a different proxy that doesn't have the same limit, or a change Telstra have done to address this).  I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will try alternate APNs.

However the Windows Phone stores the connection informaton, similar to your modem at home storing your username and password.

Please let us know what the APN is on your Windows Phone if you have this issue, and we might be in a better place to help you Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

brett_p

This no longer repro's so thanks for whoever at Telstra prodded whoever else at Telstra to fix it !

The APN issue is not something I can answer - there is no explicit setting of an APN that I can view or change.  Again, that's the out-of-box setup.  I could override it but I can't see what else might have been set inherently in the device setup.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now