CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

Mobile Plan Changes

So we just got an e-mail saying that "As part of the commitment to simplify our products and provide great service" Telstra are increasing the cost of the wife's mobile plan to $40/month.

This is on top of an increase from $30 to $35 in August 2019.

A 30% increase in plan costs in 6 months with nothing additional added to at least partly compensate for the 30% increase.

What a complete and utter ripoff

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Mobile Plan Changes

I just got the same email. The only change I see is they are now giving me 2GB data for the extra $5 charge. (see below) As I have never used data or internet on my phone, this could be a bonus, though not sure what 2GB data will give access to, email perhaps and internet access?

any advice please ?

The only reason I have stayed with Telstra is because they have the best regional coverage and I travel frequently.

2GB, no lock-in contract and more.
Your new Mobile Plan Extra Small includes 2GB of data, with no excess data charges in Australia so you won’t be charged extra for going over your monthly allowance - your data will just be slowed.
Highlighted

My wife is in the same boat. Hasn't ever used a single byte of data on her phone and is unlikely to ever do so. The 2GB data allowance is thus worth nothing to her.

The big issue for us though is that at a time when inflation is running at less than 2% Telstra are increasing costs at a rate equivalent to 60% per annum.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

The cheapest month to month plan with Telstra is $40....although they don't advertise this on their website.

You could change to Pre-paid and choose the Max plan.

There's a $30 recharge which has 28 day's expiry, if you set up an Automatic Recharge for a particular date each month it will extend the expiry date a few day's.

Only the $30 Recharge can be set as an Automatic Recharge 

You could choose the $150/6 months expiry, or $300/12 months expiry.

These would equate to $25/month.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#RCG

You can speak to the Disconnection's team on 132200 to see if they can offer you anything cheaper than $40.

They're the team to speak to if you were going to cancel your plan.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted

We've lodged a complaint. We'll also be going to the Ombudsman as an equivalent 60% per annum increase in plan cost is beyond ridiculous. 

There's absolutely no way they can justify this.

No doubt we'll get no joy from them but we'll make them run around a bit prior to taking our business elsewhere.

We put in a complaint and also advised we would be going to the Ombudsman and Consumer Affairs as this is a clear case of Predatory Pricing.

Increase has been withdrawn. They have given us a "discount" and agreed to maintain the Plan cost at $35/month.

No explanation as to how anyone at Telstra can justify a 60% per annum price hike.

Highlighted

@abthomphave they removed the 2GB data offered with the new plan?

previous plan had $20 allowance for extras, if they have let you remain on the old plan?

Highlighted

to make matters worse, a new email arrived changing the plan from "includes 2GB of data, with no excess data charges" offer to a new maximum data charge limit of $100. So from a zero data charge to $100 data charge is no joke. I am not happy with Telstra's 'our commitment to provide great service' This is just a joke. 

So in 7months my cost has gone from $30 to $40 with no added benefit to me as I don't use data. only to Telstra..

'Not happy Jan'

Highlighted

No they didn't remove the data allowance.

Just increased the baseline plan cost to $40 and then added a $5/month credit.

So we're on the new plan but effectively at the old price

Highlighted

How long have you been with Telstra?

We've been with them for plus 20 years and we have two mobile services and the internet.

I kicked up a huge stink about ;

1. Treating long term customers like dirt and

2. 60% increases in cost at a time when inflation is running at less than 2%. 

I would have been quite happy to go to one of the trashy "Current Affairs" shows to expose this behaviour and I told them so.

It is completely and utterly outrageous.

Highlighted

I've been with them since 2007 so 13 years. Currently only have my mobile phone service with them, Main reason being that I travel to regional areas frequently and wanted the best coverage. I used to have my home phone with them. Now have NBN with iinet. 

Their latest email update on 22/3/20 (Excess data charges capped at $100 from 22/4/20) now wipes out the previous 2GB data offer which had no excess charges,

I am a pensioner and happy just to use phone and text, no data.

Increase of $10 within 7 mths with no added benefit to me I agree with you it's simply outrageous.  I'll send in a complaint and see where it gets me.

Highlighted

@abthomp  I sent in a complaint online and yesterday got a phone call from Telstra (in Philippines). They are giving me a $10 mthly discount valid for 36 months. Reducing my plan back to $30 per mth. So am very happy with result. Kudos to Telstra this time.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit