Highlighted
PST
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile lease plan with Mobile Swap Assure

Answered

I have a $99 lease plan with Mobile Swap Assure.  It has a bit over one year left on the contract.  I have damage to parts of the glass on the back of phone.  When I took it to a Telstra store they said, even with twelve months left on my plan I had to pay the $190 PLUS start a new plan paying for a new phone over two or three years.

I was told when signing up that I would walk out of the store only $190 out of pocket.  I realise that leases are no longer available since July this year but shouldn’t Telstra honour my contract with them?  Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PST
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile lease plan with Mobile Swap Assure

Thank you Marty.  I should have listened harder and asked a lot more questions at the time.  I would ask that sales staff are trained to spell out some of the pit falls in contracts.  

At the time in Port Hedland WA I asked the genuinely helpful and personable assistant what would happen if I had another accident with my phone while travelling.  Very simply she said you will walk into a store pay $190 (plan starts again) and walk out with a working phone.

I have decided to take my phone to Apple for repair (it’s only $150 approx) and will not void the warranty according to the sales manager at Sylvania.  I will then return my phone when contract ends next year and hand the phone back. No cost at return.  Is this a valid plan of action for me?  Also can you tell me what the buy back cost of an apple 8plus at end of plan in Sep 2020?

thanks again Marty. Looking forward to your reply

PST

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Hi PST, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to Crowd Support!

Just to clarify, Telstra will honour the lease contract that you are currently on, but it sounds like you are wanting to continue with your current plan but swap your handset in the process. Is that the case here?

If so, every time a handset is swapped, you actually enter a new leasing contract.

Since leasing is no longer an option, that's correct that you would be entering one of our new contracts to buy the handset as this is currently the only option available. You may incur additional charges with this, however if you didn't have swap assure on your account, then returning the handset with some damage could have cost up to $499 for the handset alone (Depending on the damage of the phone).

What you were told when you signed up originally was correct under the premise that lease plans were still active at the time and would have had you roll into a new lease contract with a new handset.

Apologies for any confusions there. 

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

- Matty

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PST
Accepted Solution

Thank you Marty.  I should have listened harder and asked a lot more questions at the time.  I would ask that sales staff are trained to spell out some of the pit falls in contracts.  

At the time in Port Hedland WA I asked the genuinely helpful and personable assistant what would happen if I had another accident with my phone while travelling.  Very simply she said you will walk into a store pay $190 (plan starts again) and walk out with a working phone.

I have decided to take my phone to Apple for repair (it’s only $150 approx) and will not void the warranty according to the sales manager at Sylvania.  I will then return my phone when contract ends next year and hand the phone back. No cost at return.  Is this a valid plan of action for me?  Also can you tell me what the buy back cost of an apple 8plus at end of plan in Sep 2020?

thanks again Marty. Looking forward to your reply

PST

PST

Apologies.  I misspelled your name Matty 

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for getting back to me PST,

That is still a valid action for you here as this honours the contract to it's entirety. There'll be no extra costs once the handset has been returned when your lease contract ends.

I won't be able to let you know how much you'll get for the iPhone 8 plus when you trade it in at that date as this price can change over time.

You can however check out how much you'll get for it here when the time comes to see how much you'll get for the handset.

Don't hesitate to reach out in the future if you have any other queries.

- Matty

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now