Highlighted
fairbaba
Level 2: Rookie

New Phone Feeling Redemption - What are the Eligible Plans?

Answered

Couple of questions:

1. On the Old New Phone Feeling service, to take up the offer do you need to resign a 24 month contract with the same minimum monthly committment, or can you down grade to a lower spend level?

2. Do you need to purchase a phone again (DPC) or can you move to a BYO plan?

I'm concered if the answer to question 1 is you need to stay at the same MMC.  The Mobile Accelerate plans are a bit sneaky in the way they are priced.  A "$95 plan" gives you the same inclusions as a "$70 BYO Plan", with the device MRO build into the "plan fee".  That being the case, I wonder whether you need to stick to the "$95 plan" even if you didn't want another device, or can you drop to the $70 BYO plan?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: New Phone Feeling Redemption - What are the Eligible Plans?

According to the Critical Information Summary I grabbed at random here: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/mobile/personal-critical-...

It appears so.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi fairbaba

You do need to take up a plan with a new handset - as that's the point of the offer - to get a new device after 12 months. 

However, you can take up any of the Go Mobile Plans that include a new device - you aren't required to stick to the same plan level.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

fairbaba

Thanks for the prompt reply and clarifying the MMC.  But I can still move over to a "BYO plan", I'd just need to also purchase a device payment contract as well?  The terms mentioned you could resign to a BYO plan.

Thanks.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi fairbaba

You cannot move onto a BYO phone plan - those plans mean you have to Bring Your Own phone to the contract. 
They can't have a Device Payment Contract - as that would mean you aren't bringing your own phone anymore - and thus move into the standard Go Mobile Plans with a new device.

fairbaba

Hi Steph Thanks for the follow up.  Why do the terms and conditions mention you can recontract onto a BYO Plan?

Upgrading your device

The $50 early recontracting fee (if applicable) and the remaining payments for your existing device will be waived if, during the final 12 months of your 24 month DPC term, you:

• purchase a new mobile phone device on a 24 month DPC with a Mobile Accelerate, Mobile Accelerate Plan – Data Share, Mobile Accelerate BYO, Mobile Accelerate BYO Plan – Data Share or Mobile Accelerate Casual plan or, if these plans are no longer available for new customers, the plan that we advise you; and

Can you purchase a DPC separately to a phone contract?  I assume so?  For example if you take a 24 month DPC and a 12 month contract?

Thanks.

Ref:

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-new-phone-fe...

Support Team
Support Team

Hi fairbaba,

To clarify, no,  you can not purchase a DPC on it's own. This can only be added at the time a new contract starts, and must be for the same term. 

Angela

fairbaba

Hi Angela

I would be purchasing a device on a device payment contract at the same time as signing up to a new plan.

The terms and conditions state you can purchase a BYO (12 months) or Casual Plan (no commitment) if you wanted to, so long as you purchase a device on a 24 month contract.

Why do you suggest it has to be a 24 month plan?  Can you provide a link to the terms and conditions you're referencing?

Thanks.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi fairbaba,

The DPC length and the contract length have to match in order to be processed through our systems. DPCs are all 24 months, so the contract would need to also be 24 months.

fairbaba

Is it possible to have a BYO plan over 24 months and having a DPC over 24 months with the same start dates?

I'm at a loss as to why the terms and conditions of the product would outline a specific option if the Telstra systems are unable to fulfil it? This would trigger an exit if Telstra isn't able to fulfil a service (NPF) the customer is paying for.
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

According to the Critical Information Summary I grabbed at random here: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/mobile/personal-critical-...

It appears so.

fairbaba

Great, thanks for confirming. It looks like you can also have a 12 month service plan with a 12 month DPC.
Support Team
Support Team

I'd agree, but having come from the retail space I don't ever remember seeing a 12 month DPC option in our systems. That's not to say it doesn't exist, just that I don't remember seeing it as being available.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now