CrowdSupport®
LeslieC
Level 1: Cadet

Number porting process

Answered

I am currently with Optus and I am considering a 12 month plan with telstra and hope to keep my number from Optus. So I do know that you can number port and should port while the Optus plan is active and close to when it ends. However right now my optus plan still has 4 months before it reaches the 24 month mark and I want to take advantage of a JBHiFi with telstra deal that will end on soon so my question is can I still port my number after the 4 months from optus to telstra while I begin my 12 month contract with telstra now

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Number porting process

Hi @LeslieC,

If you are looking to port your mobile number over, then you will need to keep in mind that once the number becomes connected to the Telstra network with your new mobile plan, it will disconnect with your old provider and cancel the service with them. If you are still in contract with them, then they will charge any early termination fees according to their terms & conditions. 

It's not possible to take up an offer and put the activation on hold. 

So your options will be to either port your mobile number over now if wanting the specific offer that is currently available, or wait until you are much closer to the contract end date with your provider, and take up any new offers that are available around that time. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 21: Augmented

@LeslieC wrote:

I am currently with Optus and I am considering a 12 month plan with telstra and hope to keep my number from Optus. So I do know that you can number port and should port while the Optus plan is active and close to when it ends. However right now my optus plan still has 4 months before it reaches the 24 month mark and I want to take advantage of a JBHiFi with telstra deal that will end on soon so my question is can I still port my number after the 4 months from optus to telstra while I begin my 12 month contract with telstra now

@LeslieC The only issue to consider is what contract penalties you will face from Optus if you port over to Telstra too early. Otherwise, you can freely port between carriers during contracts.

Also, be aware your phone might be locked to Optus during the contract period (If purchased from them).

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
LeslieC
Level 1: Cadet

Yes I am thinking of porting near the end of the 4 months just to avoid the penalties and get the telstra plan now and have two plans going. Can ports still be done anytime during telstra's phone plans?

@LeslieC wrote:

Yes I am thinking of porting near the end of the 4 months just to avoid the penalties and get the telstra plan now and have two plans going. Can ports still be done anytime during telstra's phone plans?

@LeslieC Porting is done at the time you are activating the new service to Telstra, not months down the track.

You can later change the number of the new service that wasn't ported, but I have never heard of anyone using a number that they own from another provider.

I'll have to leave that question to someone on here with more knowledge on the subject :-)

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @LeslieC,

If you are looking to port your mobile number over, then you will need to keep in mind that once the number becomes connected to the Telstra network with your new mobile plan, it will disconnect with your old provider and cancel the service with them. If you are still in contract with them, then they will charge any early termination fees according to their terms & conditions. 

It's not possible to take up an offer and put the activation on hold. 

So your options will be to either port your mobile number over now if wanting the specific offer that is currently available, or wait until you are much closer to the contract end date with your provider, and take up any new offers that are available around that time. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jhwiz
Level 4: Private Eye

Bear in mind locking handsets to carries is not legal. Something to do with fair competition rules. Only prepaid handsets can be locked to carriers...

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now