Mike9999
Level 1: Cadet

Order cancelled

So the other day I ordered a new phone on a plan but today I received an email telling me my order had been cancelled and something about a credit check. I have no outstanding depts and a full time job so I’m not sure why I would fail a credit check.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Order cancelled

Unfortunately, no one here can help you with this. You need to call the billing people or go to shop.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 22: Superhuman

If you are refused credit, the appropriate law says you must be given the reason.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Mike9999
Level 1: Cadet

This is the email I received

Thanks for your order.
We complete credit checks on every order and have discovered an issue with your application so have cancelled your order. We'll refund your money, including any delivery charges, to the credit card you used to order.

@Mike9999 wrote:
I have no outstanding depts and a full time job so I’m not sure why I would fail a credit check.

Are you saying that:

1. You do not have a mortgage? Congratulations - most Australians do
  2. You do always repay your credit card in full?
  3. You do not have several of them as is normal nowadays?

Credit check does not involve checking your employment status... So that is something you just forget..

You can have bad credit check if you do "credit card" shopping - people do this for various reasons - I for example do it for frequent flyer point bonuses on sign up... But much less than I used to do because the new CC regulations... It was normal for me to sign up for CC, run whatever amount was required to get the sign up bonus and then I immediately canceled it... Could go through as many as 10 cards in a year like this... That would now ruin my check even though, I never owed anything on those cards...

But as I said - no one here has access to any details about your purchase and rejection - this is community based... You need to call Telstra to find out...

Cheers

FG

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Amazing as this sounds, credit checks rate better if you actually do have or had loans, and you have a history of paying on time
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

@ProfessorPhone, you are right in general, but I believe that CC shopping and changing has been put on "red alert" list recently. I am aware of at least one person who has Centurion Amex (on invitation only for people with annual income over 200,000) and has been refused Gold Visa from ANZ on a basis that he has had too many cards in the not so distant past... He as doing what I used to do... Believe me or not, I was able to get enough Qantas points in that way in 6 months time to give me two first class return tickets between Australia and Europe...Unfortunately, in semi-retirement, I do not earn enough to do sign ups for platinum cards any more...

I agree.
When people apply for home loans, they are generally advised to reduce their credit card limit/s.

And with the Australian property market at its highest, everyone is careful… Many people are stretched to their limits... I'm glad that I paid off my mortgage in 5 years (20 years ago!)… I've been accumulating wealth ever since... 😁

Want a Big Gigaboost?

Get a Massive 10GB Bonus on Select Lease Plans.

Find out more