CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
woody1
Level 4: Private Eye

Porting family and friends

Answered

I am on the $39 cap family and friends plan and after looking around at available plans from other carriers I find there are prepaid plans out there which would give me much more data and unlimited calls both in Australia and to the UK. My question is can I port my number over to say Optus or Will I have to cancel it and take up a new number with them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Porting family and friends

@woody1

you can port the numbers no problem.

problem

1) may lie in how long it takes for them to be ported (ie dont try it on the weekend)

2) whether or not the other carrier services the areas that you require phone and data services.

it may also be worth double crunching the numbers and the plans "critical information" to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. 

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

@woody1

you can port the numbers no problem.

problem

1) may lie in how long it takes for them to be ported (ie dont try it on the weekend)

2) whether or not the other carrier services the areas that you require phone and data services.

it may also be worth double crunching the numbers and the plans "critical information" to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. 

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
woody1
Level 4: Private Eye

Thanks for your reply. I have been with Telstra my landline 52 years broadband since dial up days and mobile about 8 years.

the family and friends gives me 1g of data and $400 of local calls for$39 a month. I can get 6g of data unlimited Australian calls and unlimited overseas calls to numerous countries for $40 a month on prepaid from another telco. I don't see Telstra giving me any bonus for loyalty so I think I should simply go for the best deal.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now