CrowdSupport®
AurumThree
Level 3: Gumshoe

Porting from Optus to Telstra (Boost) - Over 4 weeks

Hi all, I have been having a really frustrating experience getting Telstra Porting team to port my number from Optus.

This is the fourth week now and all I am getting from the porting team is porting not happening yet due to system issue.

What is the system issue?

And how can such a big corporate company like Telstra let customers wait for over 4 weeks.

The nightmare started around Sept 2. I have daily called support and have to wait on the phone for over an hour for them to connect with the Telstra Porting team.

My case was escalated but nothing happened. I have made a complain and given a case manager a week ago. But still no movement with the porting.

Telstra SR 1-2205442874693

I have ask if the issue is on the Optus side, but I was told it is due to Telstra system issue.

This is really bad customer experience. I have been waiting patiently for over 4 weeks now, but I am getting really frustrated now.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
51 REPLIES 51
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Porting from Optus to Telstra (Boost) - Over 4 weeks

Hi AurumThree,

I am sorry that you have had a delay on your request to port your service, it makes sense to me that you'd be feeling let down.

It is my basic understanding that in part a new porting process is behind some of the delays.

Thank you for that reference number, that has lead me to your case Manager & I have emailed them with a copy of this correspondence asking that they contact you as soon as possible, if you haven't heard within 2 business days get back to me.    

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AurumThree

Thanks Angela.

I will let you know if I have not heard within 2 business days.

KaiserAO
Level 1: Cadet

Absolutely terrible - I’m in week 3 and very much pissed about the very unprofessional approach to deal with the onboarding of a new customer - can believe it and never ever experienced something similar in Europe or the U.S.

1-2205418620116

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @KaiserAO We’re experiencing some delays with porting mobile numbers at the moment. Our team is working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience, we apologise for the inconvenience in the meantime. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

AurumThree

Hi support team,

It is now officially over 1 month now and my number is still not ported.

Very frustrated and how can it take so long in a 1st world country.

Telstra earns $29 billion profit in 2018 and yet we have this porting issues.

This is my 5th week waiting patiently for the porting to happen.

Is there something I can do to quicken the process by talking to Optus?

I have been told about the porting issues 4 weeks ago.

Why does it take so long to resolve? What is the root cause of the problem?

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AurumThree,

I am very sorry that your porting delay has not been resolved, it makes sense to me that you'd be feeling let down.

I don't know the specifics on the delay, I am of the belief that a new system that requires the customer to use a code that is sent via SMS could have contributed to some delays, although bear in mind that I don't have access to accounts to clarify. 

I have emailed your case manager with a copy of this correspondence asking that they contact you as soon as possible, if you haven't heard within 2 business days get back to me.    

I do hope this is resolved soon.

Angela 

AurumThree

Hi Angela,

Thanks for your reply.

I have heard about this code on online forums. I have not been sent the code via sms.

Looks like this is the missing process that needs to happen.

So why wasn't I told about this? All I get is porting team is having system issue.

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

I can't be sure what is holding up your order, when your case manager calls make sure to ask them if you need this code & if it could be the reason for your delay -Angela 

KaiserAO

Where are we at? Still nothing happened - I feel terribly ignored.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi KaiserAO,

I am sorry that you're feeling ignored on this thread, your order online shows as delayed https://tel.st/9rgx6

To gain more insight into why your order is delayed I would suggest calling through on 132200 or you can chat with us on the following secure chat link  https://tel.st/5mjpz

Get back to m e if I can offer further direction.

Angela 

AurumThree

Hi Angela

My Case Manager replied last Thursday. So it is more than 2 business days.

From past emails with the Case Manager, the hold up is because the Telstra Porting Team is having issues with the system. This same excuse was given to me 4 weeks ago. So I am not buying this now.

I think what happened is there is a new system where a code is needed to be given to a customer for verification. Like what you have said. And only you have told me about this.

And I did see this on other forums.

I have suggested the Code via SMS by email to the Case Manager but no reply or update.

What should I do?

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

I'm a little confused as I've only just picked up on the fact that you're porting to Boost, I know they use Telstra's network although we don't use the same computer systems so I would assume that we can't access your order. 

Could you please clarify for me if your order was done directly through us or Boost?

Angela 

AurumThree

Hi Angela,

Yes porting from Optus to Boost (which uses Telstra network).

When contacting the Boost support, they told me they are working for Telstra.

I think based in the Philippines.

And the porting is done by the Telstra Porting Team.

The roadblock is with the Telstra Porting Team, hence why I ask my query on this forum.

And hope someone can help me with this.

To answer your query, yes, I don't think you can access the order as it is through Boost.

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the clarification, I haven't had a Boost customer whom has placed a complaint through us based on this porting issue. 

I've reached out to your case manager again, asking if this is something they can help with & asking that they contact you. As we're not in the same area as complaints & don't have access to their schedule we can't say how quick they will call back, we say 2 business days from when we reach out to them as a guide, but hope that they will contact you sooner of course.

Angela  

KaiserAO

Hi,

I am now waiting 3 weeks to get ported from Optus to Telstra - I wonder whether Telstra is really interested in getting the revenue from me? I really urge to expedite the porting - if there is backlog then staff the (deficient) process properly. I decided to break a contract at Optus and I am/was ready to loose $300 plus dollars because I was so unhappy.... maybe I was 1-foolish to change to Telstra. 1-2205418620116

I really urge to execute immediately.

thanks

Support Team
Support Team

Hi KaiserAO,

Yesterday I mentioned chatting with us via that link, reason being, that we don't have proper account access via this third party medium. How we can help is if you have an SR case number that you can share with us we can locate & reach out to your case manager asking that they contact you.(which I have done for  @AurumThree)

What was the outcome of the chat you had?

Angela 

AurumThree

Hi Kaiser,

Understand your pain. I have been waiting for over a month now and still nothing.

Although I am going from Optus to Boost. To me it is the same thing as Boost is using Telstra network. And the porting team is from Telstra based off in India.

I was really frustrated like you because as a customer I have no view as to what is going on.

All I was told by the Telstra Porting Team is they are having system issues. Hence why I was asking them how a top ASX 10 company like Telstra can have this kind of system issues. After a few weeks, I found out it may be because of a new system they are using. That is no excuse. They should have tell me exactly what is the problem and how we can solve it together. Thanks to Angela, and also other Boost customers were saying a code is required for verification to complete the porting.

If that is the case, what is the hold up? Send me the code and I gladly complete this.

Very frustrating. Not sure what to do. Probably my next step is to put my complain on the Telstra Tweet account.

Support Team
Support Team

AurumThree,

Without being able to access your order (not just because it's Boost, we can't access any orders via social media apart from this link  https://tel.st/4jam2) I can't say 100% if this texted code is the hold up for you, when your case manager calls you can certainly ask them that if they can actually access the order. 

Bear in mind that if you Tweet Telstra it will actually come back to me as we look after all social media channels.

Angela 

AurumThree

Hi Angela,

I will hold off from tweeting to see if the case manager comes back to me today.

Her last reply was last Thursday.

I couldn't access my order so will have to rely on the support team and the Telstra Porting team to tell me what is the issue. And talking to them for the past 4 weeks it is because of Telstra System issue and not an Optus issue. Hence my frustration with this because I couldn't fathom such a large organisation has system issue for such a long time.

If you are experiencing the same pain points as me, you will know how frustrated I am.

Although i tried to be patient, it is now wearing thin now.

But I do have to thank you because at least I have someone from Telstra to chat to instead of waiting for days with no response.

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

AurumThree,

For me your case is quite unique being that the order isn't in our system, although I have provided the same follow-up in respects to reaching out to your case manager as I would with a customer whom is directly with Telstra.

Keep me in the loop re the outcome.

Angela 

AurumThree

Hi Angela,

I have a surprise call from Telstra (Sydney number) just now. And the porting team staff told me the sim card serial number they have is not matching with mine.

Unfortunately I don't have it with me to verify with him. How do I call him back? Sounds like he is from Australia which is so much easier to talk to then the team in India.

I just couldn't believe after 4 weeks, the system issues I was told is a mismatch serial number. How many times have I ask support and case manager, let me know the root cause and I can help with it.

Did you arrange for the call Smiley Happy

Now I need to go home to get the serial number and let him know.

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

I hope that the call was made on my request!. 

What an interesting case, maybe it took a lot of investigation to work out that was the issue. 

If the person whom called didn't leave a contact number then I guess you'll have to note it & have it with you at all times waiting for the call-back. Actually let me know once you note it & I'll email the case manager again asking that they call.

Angela

AurumThree

Thanks Angela, will do tomorrow.

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

Happy to help where I can, enjoy the rest of your evening -Angela 

KaiserAO

HI Angela,

Very friendly and professional operator who understood well that I'm frustrated - but still no solution - and no end in sight (that is what annoys me most). It can be in days or weeks. I feel very sorry for all front-line people at Telstra who are exposed to unhappy customers. I can only recommend to solve the problem ASAP before the **bleep**storm hits the social media or gets brought to the regulator or to local MP..

Regards

Alex

AurumThree

Morning Angela,

Hope you are well.

Case Manager has not emailed or called me since last Thursday.

Not sure what happened as it is now more than 2 business days.

I have emailed the Case Manager the sim serial number to passed on to the Telstra Porting Team.

Thanks

Should I also call the Telstra Porting team back? I don't know how. The Sydney number the person has called me yesterday was (02) 9213 2700.

I am thinking maybe I should not add my sim serial number on this forum, otherwise I can give it to you.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AurumThree, 

Thanks for keeping us updated about this. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are still yet to be contacted from our case manger and can imagine the frustration.

I've reached out to the Team leader in this situation to find that this has been reassigned to the TIO team and hasn't been assigned to a specific case manager just yet, which helps explain the wait.

In the meantime if you were wanting to reach our porting team they can be contacted on 1800 631 334 (8am - 9pm AEST Mon-Fri)

Please keep us in the loop on how this all goes.

- Matty

AurumThree

Thanks Matty.

Can you find out when I will get a new case manager?

I am still on the line waiting for the Porting Team to talk to me. Over 20 minutes now.

I just can't believe that over 5 weeks and I am back to letting the Porting Team know what is my Sim serial number. Which I have provided in week 2. And I even get the Porting Team to recite back to me. 

For the past weeks all I was told by the then Case Manager that there is system issue.

I have asked many times are you sure it is not something else. So much time wasted on this.

I am hoping to get a porting team that can speak clearly to me. See what happens and I will report back.

Support Team
Support Team

No worries there,

I'm unable to confirm exactly when this will happen but I've done all I can from my end to speed this allocation process up. I've emailed the team that assigns these explaining the situation and including the thread between us and the previous case manager so they can see why it's urgent.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been on the line for this long already and I apologise for the inconvenience of the call this morning.

Please keep us updated on how you go with the porting team.

- Matty

AurumThree

Thank you kindly Matty for chasing up on the case manager.

Still waiting on call with Porting Team. Over 40 mins now.

AurumThree

Hi Matty,

As promised here is the update.

Finally managed to talk to the Telstra Porting Team.

Gave the sim serial number and he verified it is incorrect.

And he will be manually reprocess my order.

He told me my new sim will be activated within 4 hours.

And I don't have to enter any verification code.

Fingers crossed after waiting for over a month.

I will see what happens after 4 hours and let you know the outcome.

Support Team
Support Team

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get through and have this all processed! Smiley Happy

That's wonderful news and I'm sorry this has been a lengthy process.

Thanks for being patient during all this and I appreciate you being kind with your words all throughout what no doubt has been a frustrating time.

All the best with your time with BOOST and please don't hesitate to reach out again if you ever have any queries.

- Matty

AurumThree

Hi Matty,

Unfortunately still not activated yet. I was told yesterday at 11am it will only take 4 hours but nothing happened. So frustrating.

And my case manager has not replied at all since I sent her a message yesterday.

I guessed I will have to call Telstra Portal team again to see what has happened. It is a vicious cycle - after being told the good news and then nothing happened. This is not the first time after 5 weeks.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AurumThree, 

I'm really sorry to hear this is still ongoing, I hoped this was it for you Smiley Sad

As this has been escalated to a higher level I'm not sure if they will be getting back to you as it's out of the original case manager's hands.

Did you receive a call from anyone yesterday about this?

Please let me know and I'll chase this up further.

- Matty

AurumThree

HI Matty,

I have a new case manager now who emailed me yesterday. I will let you know if I need more help.

Support Team
Support Team

No worries then.

Please keep us in the loop.

- Matty

AurumThree

Hi Matty,

See if you can make sense of this.

I turned on the phone with the Boost (Telstra) sim card.  And there is an SMS from Telstra with this message: "Thanks for choosing Boost Mobile. Your activation is now complete so you are ready to go..."

I was thinking it is working now.

But when I asked someone to call my number, my phone with the Optus sim picked up the call.

What does that mean? Looks like Boost Telstra sim is now activated. But what happened to the porting of Optus to Boost (Telstra).

So annoying.

Hope you can help

Support Team
Support Team

It sounds like they've prioritised the activation of the SIM over the porting of the number from what I can gather.

I would anticipate that your case manager would have been in touch to let you know the next steps moving forward from here.

Has anything wound up in your junk folder per chance? 

Please let me know, and I'll let your case manager know to reach out to update the porting request.

- Matty

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Once the Boost SIM is activated, then Optus completes the port by updating their numbers database to redirect the call towards Telstra .

That should normally happen within a few hours of the new SIM becoming active.

Was the person who called you on an Optus phone? If so, try getting someone with a Telstra phone to call you and see if that works. That will give an indication of where in the process the porting is. Or, call your friend and see what number appears on their phone.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AurumThree

Hi Matty,

This is indeed very confusing.

I have my case manager telling me my number has been ported.

But on her email the number is incorrect and not my number.

Not sure what is happening. Telstra has activated the Boost sim.

What happens next? Will I another email telling me porting has been successful?

The confusing part for me is the case manager emailing me saying porting is done but the mobile number ported is incorrect.

AurumThree

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for letting me know the process.

The confusing thing for me is the case manager emailing me all is done and my number is ported.

But when I look at her email, the number is incorrect.

I am hoping what you have said is the process, which means I need to wait for Optus to complete the updating their numbers database. As a customer I would not know this is indeed happening or the Telstra Porting team has used a wrong number.

Yes the other person uses Telstra phone, and the call when straight to my current Optus number.

Which indicated the number has not been ported. Only the Boost sim is activated.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks again for keeping me in the loop here.

I've just sent a follow up request to your case manager  advising of your concern so that you can hear directly from them that all is going well. Smiley Happy

I truly appreciate your patience throughout all this.

- Matty

AurumThree

Hi Matty,

I finally got through to the Telstra Porting team after waiting for almost 45 mins.

And I managed to find out they stuff it up again. And this is not the first time.

The porting team have used the mobile number for the Boost sim card.

I think you will find this funny as I would not call this porting.

Porting is from one provider to another such as Optus to Telstra.

Wow just can't believe this is happening because only yesterday I got confirmation from another Porting Team staff that he has recorded all my requirements and fully understood to port my Optus number.

The person I was talking today told me there is another porting team group that will look at my request and gave me a ref number ending 7195.

The drama continues and I am so sick of their incapabilities.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AurumThree, 

You're having quite the experience here and I apologise for the roller coaster this journey has been for you. 

I wish I could find this funny, but I'm instead overcome with a different emotion.

Thanks for keeping us updated and I'll be sending all of this to your case manager for further review.

- Matty

AurumThree

Hi Matty,

I called up Telstra Porting Team this morning, waited almost 50 mins but managed to get through. This may be good news, the team member told me porting will be done in 2 hours.

And now my mobile with the Optus sim  is telling me "Sim not provisioned"

Is this good news? 

I will need to return home to insert the Boost sim to test all is good. Fingers crossed after 5 weeks, my pain is over.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for coming back through AurumThree!

This does sound like good news as that normally means you no longer have service with that provider, indicating the port has potentially gone through.

You're a trooper and I have my fingers crossed for you too!

I look forward to hearing this is resolved Smiley Happy

- Matty

AurumThree

Hi Matty,

Letting you know after 5 weeks of pain, the good news is my number is finally being ported by Telstra Porting Team.

I think there is a lot to learn from my experiences, so if any Telstra Product Managers looking after mobile wanting to talk to me, I will be more than happy to talk to them.

Thanks for your help and also Angela_H. Without you two for support I would probably have gone crazy. 

Do you know who I should approach to discuss compensation for the bad experiences I have gone through in the entire porting journey. Thanks.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AurumThree,

It is great to hear that this has finally been resolved. I greatly apologise for the experience you have had with this.

I recommend lodging a formal complaint via this link https://tel.st/9bmrl where a case manager will be assigned and will be in contact with you directly to discuss further.

AurumThree

Thanks Jessica. I do have a case manager and I have informed her about it.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now