Highlighted
worthywood
Level 4: Private Eye

Porting number from postpaid to prepaid without cancelling plan

Answered

I am on a 24 month contract with telstra however I would like to give my son the plan and I will just go to telstra prepaid however I want to keep the same number that is on my plan and have a new number on it for my son. I spoke to somone online who said it is possible however my internet cut out and then the next person I spoke to said it isn't possible because transfering the number would terminate the contract. Is there a way to do this? It is very important I keep my current number

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Porting number from postpaid to prepaid without cancelling plan

Hi worthywood,

It is possible, but it is not a straightforward process and there is a chance that the number for your postpaid service will be lost. It is not as simple as just changing the service to prepaid as that will cancel the current contract. What we would need to do is get the prepaid service set up in your name. Once that is done we would do a change of number on the post paid service to assign a new number and then another change of number on the prepaid service to assign the postpaid number to the prepaid service.

It is important that you understand though, that during this process the postpaid number is put into quarantine. In most circumstances it is possible to pull the number out of quarantine and reassign it to the prepaid service, however there is a chance that this will not be possible and that once the number is in quarantine it cannot be retrieved. If it is very important that you keep the number I would advise against attempting this as we will not know until we have already removed the number from your postpaid service if there will be issues reassigning the number. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
DeclanJWade
Level 2: Rookie

I would fill out the form for changing ownership of the account and take it into a Telstra store, you can ask them there if you can keep the existing number and get a new number for the postpay plan. They should be able to make a note of that on the document beofre they send it off to the Telstra office for processing. It's best to talk to someone face-to-face about it so you get the honest facts and prevent any confusion. I can see no reason why they can't move the numbers around, they seem to do it all the time. 

Even if a Support Staff says you can't do it in reply to this thread, it would still be woth asking in store, especially as someone you talked to said you could.

Here is the link for the form, should save you from going to and from the store: http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/change-of-ownership-c2c.pdf

I hopefully that helps, Smiley Wink

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi worthywood,

It is possible, but it is not a straightforward process and there is a chance that the number for your postpaid service will be lost. It is not as simple as just changing the service to prepaid as that will cancel the current contract. What we would need to do is get the prepaid service set up in your name. Once that is done we would do a change of number on the post paid service to assign a new number and then another change of number on the prepaid service to assign the postpaid number to the prepaid service.

It is important that you understand though, that during this process the postpaid number is put into quarantine. In most circumstances it is possible to pull the number out of quarantine and reassign it to the prepaid service, however there is a chance that this will not be possible and that once the number is in quarantine it cannot be retrieved. If it is very important that you keep the number I would advise against attempting this as we will not know until we have already removed the number from your postpaid service if there will be issues reassigning the number. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

300Neil
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Ashley,

I already have gone thru the process of getting my Optus number onto a Telstra prepaid.

I took this path as I read it on this forum to do it exactly as you just described....

Now I need to get this number onto my postpaid account. After 4 nights of attempting to get into 24/7 chat. I was told I have to pay out my contract, and there was no other way to do this. It's ridiculous.

How do I go thru this process with a competent person like yourself??

Very frustrated now...
Support Team
Support Team

Hey 300Neil,

Just need to confirm that you currently have the number connected with Telstra on a pre-paid connection and were wanting to have this changed to a post-paid plan? If this is the case then there should not currently be a contract in place for your mobile service as it is on a pre-paid connection. What have you been advised the fee would be for? 

RJT1
Level 1: Cadet

Having initially tried to export my original number via the Internet I was told it can only be done by visiting a Telstra shop and obtaining a blank Sim. Having done that and told it would be transferred within 24 hrs ,nothing occurred even after 48hrs. Got in touch with Telstra help and eventually said "all ok it will be transferred within 24 to 48 hrs" .Nothing occurred again. Once again contacted Telstra help and eventually told the same. Its been a total of 6 days without any response.  If I lived where I could get a guaranteed signal I would cancel the three accounts I have with Telsta, if the problem lasts much longer I probably!!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi RJT1

We did have an issue with new SIM Activations not completing in the system last week however, this issue  has now been resolved. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience

Has your SIM card now been activated? 

Kind Regards 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now