Highlighted
wo2cais
Level 1: Cadet

Possible scam SMS messages

Answered

Over the past few days I recieved numerous strange SMS messages and am worried this could be scam / phishing attack?

The contact shows in my phone as Telstra (not a saved contact) and I cannot reply.

1st message = "Hi from Telstra. Your email address to receive your Telstra bill appears invalid. Update your email address in the My Bills section of the Telstra 24x7 app." - This is strange as my account contact hasn't changed and I am recieving bills fine (last one 9 days before this message)

2nd message = "Thanks for calling Telstra. Click www.telstra.com.au/yhmn?ci=****** to get back in touch. No sms reply" - received 2 days later, but I didnt call Telstra

3nd message = idential to the above, 4 hours afterwards

Obviously I have not clicked on the link (and changed it above), but dont understand whats happening. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Possible scam SMS messages

Call 132200 and just check that there has been no changes made to your account. Better to check and be safe.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Call 132200 and just check that there has been no changes made to your account. Better to check and be safe.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The /yhmn sms is typically after you speak to Telstra they send it to you so you can get back to the agent again if you need to afterwards.

The first one is likely legitimate if they had an email bounce back.

That being said if you haven't been in contact with Telstra recently I would suggest speaking to them on 132200 and see if there is any notes on the account of recent interactions and if there is and they were not you, then you might suggest an issue.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

DarkieT
Level 1: Cadet

This morning we had a missed message on our landline. When retrieved it was from one of our old friends, stating there was a MMS message and go to Optus http:// etc . When I rang my friend, he said that he didnt know what was going on, that he'd received all these messages and he'd deleted them.

I then noticed that my husband's mobile had a message to contact O

@wo2cais wrote:

Over the past few days I recieved numerous strange SMS messages and am worried this could be scam / phishing attack?

The contact shows in my phone as Telstra (not a saved contact) and I cannot reply.

1st message = "Hi from Telstra. Your email address to receive your Telstra bill appears invalid. Update your email address in the My Bills section of the Telstra 24x7 app." - This is strange as my account contact hasn't changed and I am recieving bills fine (last one 9 days before this message)

2nd message = "Thanks for calling Telstra. Click www.telstra.com.au/yhmn?ci=****** to get back in touch. No sms reply" - received 2 days later, but I didnt call Telstra

3nd message = idential to the above, 4 hours afterwards

Obviously I have not clicked on the link (and changed it above), but dont understand whats happening. Any ideas?

ptus ---- we deleted everything and didnt follow any links.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DarkieT

Thanks for raising this issue with us, We are aware of other Customers receiving the same messages. 

To keep safe online we recommend, 

• Beware of unsolicited requests for sensitive information - don't follow suspicious links from senders or sites you don't know or trust;

• If in doubt, visit trusted websites by typing the internet address (URL) into the browser address bar rather than clicking on a link embedded in an email. Save frequently used links in your favourites or bookmarks;

• Never respond to requests for personal information in an unexpected email or pop-up window. If in doubt, always contact the institution that claims to be the sender of the email or pop-up window;

• Use a spam filter to help block unsolicited and unwanted email;

• Select a strong password of at least eight characters including upper case, lower case, at least one number and at least one special character, such as '!', '?', '$', etc; and

• Use security software such as anti-virus and anti-spyware and keep it up to date.

We also provide this information, 

Mobile Phone Scams

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now