FraserAve
Level 1: Cadet

Pre paid

I am thinking to switch from $49 post paid plan to a low cost plan as my circumstances are such that I use my mobile only rarely to make or receive calls and/or mobile data connection

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Pre paid

@FraserAve wrote:
I am thinking to switch from $49 post paid plan to a low cost plan as my circumstances are such that I use my mobile only rarely to make or receive calls and/or mobile data connection

@FraserAve Might be worth thinking going over to Telstra's little brother Belong mobile on the unlimited $10 a month plan?

Of course, that would effect your Telstra rewards by not earning any more points.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Level 22: Superhuman

But, with Belong, you won't have 4GX high speed data, but standard 4G LTE.
The Telstra Disconnections (Saves) Team has some special offers if you're thinking of leaving. Best to ring them 9am to 9pm AEST when the calls go to Adelaide
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

@ProfessorPhone wrote:
But, with Belong, you won't have 4GX high speed data, but standard 4G LTE.
The Telstra Disconnections (Saves) Team has some special offers if you're thinking of leaving. Best to ring them 9am to 9pm AEST when the calls go to Adelaide

@ProfessorPhone Considering the OP doesn't, going by his post, use much data, let alone worry about having 4GX available in his area, I don't think that is much of a biggy.

The thing to me more would be loosing WiFi Calling if in a bad reception area. And that was still not working for SMS's (If that is still the case?)

@FraserAve By all means try the disconnection team, but I doubt anything can be done there, considering you want to drop down in a plan spend. Maybe with bundling? But let us know how you get on :-)

Michaelp1
Level 3: Gumshoe

That $10 a month plan with Belong looks most attractive, as it includes unlimited calls in Australia and unlimited texts plus has a 1GB/month data allowance that is cumulative if not used up in the month. So if you have mobile data switched off on your phone for everything except the bus/train timetable and checking emails then it would be perfect. ie use wifi for everything else.

https://www.belong.com.au/mobile/plans

Also your existing mobile number can be moved across from Telstra naturally.  If you want more data the $25 a month (saves $24 a month on what you are paying now) gives 10GB data allowance per month- again that has no limit on how much you can accumulate.

Highlighted

@Michaelp1 Belong is Telstra's way of dealing with MVNOs while still retaining customers, so it's a win win for both sides, them, and the customer.

Obviously, you will loose AFL Live access, and Telstra Air access (If you also don't have a Telstra broadband account).

But, here is a way you can also save some money if you move over to Belong. And I am an astute bargain hunter on everything, it can really add up over the year :-)

1) Get a $40 SIM Belong at a good price ($15 on eBay atm). So save $25 to start with.

2) Your Belong re-charge date isn't necessarily the date you port over.

Plans are billed on the same date monthly. Initial billing dates are every 8 days (e.g. 4th, 12th, 20th, 28th May 2018). The time between activation and the next available billing date is "free".

So as an example, you port over the 21st of the month (Not the 20th). Your billing date will then start on the 28th of the next month. So you get a few days free. But here's the kicker, if you port over with that cheap $40 SIM then when your billing month starts you will already have 30GB of data in your bank. Plus whatever of the current month of data you don't use. So potentially you can have 60GB in the unlimited bank when you first recharge is due.

Then during the first month you change down to the $10 plan for the following months. And at any month up the plan if you want to get more bank data if running low.

Remember, don't port over on any of the recharge dates above.

Also, if you know someone already with Belong you can use his/her code when joining and you both get $20 credit :-)

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now