Grantdavis26
Level 2: Rookie

SIM not valid on iPhone 5c

Hi, I am currently in Canada and have tried installing a chatr SIM card into my iPhone 5c running iOS 9.3.2. 

When I install the sim and try to activate it it is displaying "SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information." 

Yet when I return my Telstra sim into the phone and try to unlock the phone on the Telstra support page it displays "your iPhone is unlocked, you can insert another mobile providers SIM card" 

any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

Grant 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Level 23: Superhero

Re: SIM not valid on iPhone 5c

Hi,

Annoyingly it looks like you need to backup your device, full restore, setup as new then restore from backup. All to be done via iTunes. Hopefully from there you'll see a notification that your iPhone is unlocked.

It's true that yours and every other iPhone 4S and up will show that's it's unlocked but it's not an automatics process once Apple releases it.

Cheers,
Dave

Grantdavis26

Thank you. Do I need to contact Telstra before doing that to ask them to unlock it? Or does it do that automatically? 

Thanks 

You shouldn't need to as iPhones 5 (4s) and up are already unlocked (the request has been sent and stored at Apple) it's just a matter of doing the full restore (as new) then recover from your backup.

Some details. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201328

Cheers,
Dave

Grantdavis26

Will try that tomorrow! Thanks for your help!! 

Grantdavis26

Unfortunately did not work, still displaying the same thing Smiley Sad 

Sorry for the run around. Just to clarify iTunes downloaded the restore file? Maybe try again with the foreign sim installed and setup as new? Can only think the iPhone is/was prepaid?

Cheers,
Dave

Grantdavis26

Yeah I tried that, as soon as I inserted the foreign sim it displayed the same message. 

It was on a plan but that plan expired over 12 months ago.

thanks for your help! 

The fact it was a post paid contract reinforces that it should be unlocked. What if you have the foreign sim in prior to starting the restore to a new device?

Sorry this can't be sorted quickly as it seems like a hit and miss when it comes to this thing.

Cheers,
Dave

Grantdavis26

As soon as I insert the foreign sim it displays the above screen and doesn't let me do anything..?

So having the foreign sim in then having the iPhone connected directly to a PC/Mac you can't do anything in iTunes?

Cheers,
Dave

Grantdavis26

I'll try that now. Thanks 

Right oh.. I'm off to bed Smiley Wink

Cheers,
Dave

Grantdavis26

No joy, it displayed this message.. Definitely looks to be a fault at telstra's end unlocking the phone

image.jpeg

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey @Grantdavis26

I'd suggest that you place the handset's IMEI number here: www.telstra.com.au/unlock

I believe that some iPhone 5C handsets were in fact locked to the network if supplied as part of a prepaid offer although this site will tell you if an unlock is required or not.

From there, if you are still experiencing issues, you will need to contact Apple Support.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Apologies, didn't see a reply in my inbox!

Total pain I must say! Hopefully Matt's advice (didn't think of it as it was a postpaid account) and assume the device was setup as a potential prepaid device.

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now