CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Controls

Hi All,

Query here about Telstra Smart Controls.

I set up Smart controls on my Telstra account, and blocked a particular mobile number on one of the mobile phones on my account to prevent abusive phone calls and text messages being sent by an irate & irrational person.

The blocking seems to prevent calls being made to / from that bolcked number, but it does not block abusive SMS being either received or sent....

Can some urgent advice be given here?

Thanks,

G*

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Smart Controls

Hi All,

Just an update on my post above,

Been talking with a Telstra technical support person who advised that SMS service CAN NOT be blocked using the smart control system. They assured me it was being worked by the technical dept, but it is unknown when a SMS blocking service will be available.

Cheers 

G*

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi G*,

You have answered your own question but I just wanted to confirm this officially. The Smart Control system is not currently capable of blocking SMS from being received.

I will pass on the feedback about incorporating this feature in future. I am sorry to hear that you have had a nasty experience with a particular person contacting you, which I can understand would be quite disturbing. Some phones have apps available that can sort or filter SMS in much the same way as email rules. Its possible one of these could help you by directing this persons messages into a junk folder or similar.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi G*,

It appears that the Telstra Product Smart Controls is not so smart after all. As you have discovered, this product is potentially effective for two out of three areas of communication. The HUGE omission being SMS. Gee now let us contemplate why they might just have omitted that....,...A little story about one of my nieces might explain it. In a period of 1 month she clocked up over 3,300 SMS messages sent - that equated to around $960 worth if the service was prepaid (which it isn't but still resulted in hefty over plan charge) (heaven knows how many she received), anyhow it would be stupid of Telstra to forgo the revenues associated with young people and their absolute addiction with SMS. I might add that in that same household, the members of it SMS each other rather than walking around and finding the person they wish to talk to - so there you have it - TRUE story!....... One kid one month do some maths!!!

Now a little bit of practical help for  you, assuming you're trying to control an Android device - try the Kytephone app - see www.kytephone.com - now I have some issues* with this app, but the inability to control SMS is not one of them. In fact it looks very much like a better solution than Telstra Smart Controls and oh deary me it is FREEEEEEEEE. You can restrict Internet, telephone AND SMS as well as the apps that can be used, whitelist, blacklist time periods, all sorts of goodies and reporting as well as GPS location monitoring. 

* For those wondering about the issues - It has an inbuilt camera app which by the way uploads all the photos taken to the monitoring site (nice touch), but it is incompatible with the Motorola MB525 (an older Telstra phone) - the camera app and the Motorola inbuilt camera produce just black images - the good news there is a workaround using CameraMX and Dropbox with camera sync enabled, just deactivate the kytephone camera and use those two apps as a replacement again all FREEEEEEE. Not $2.95 a month for a 2/3 baked product.

Happy protecting your kids

Andrew

Highlighted

can anyone explain about telstra controls ?

Highlighted

Hey All,

Thanks for all the positive replies! 

Just an update on my Abusive SMS issues. I had been in touch with the unwelcome calls centre who suggested aquiring a smartphone and installing an "App" to block unwanted SMS.

I got hold of another handset for the user on my account who was receiving the nasty SMS. The user was an elderley person who was not comfoprtable with the touchscreen smartphone style handset, so I had limited range to choose from. Ended up selecting a Nokia C5, which seems to the the most "traditional" smart phone avaialble.

Installed a "symbian" app (nokias equiv to Android smartphone software) called advanced blocker which all up cost about $25.00 which works a treat.... only thing is that even though calls and SMS messages are blocked too but the app keeps a log of "how many" calls SMS are blocked that are easily viewed by the user.

The app works well, SMS messages are automatically deleted and no "indication" that the SMS had been received (by both tone or on screen message icon) 

Only improvement needed is a "lock" to keep the handset user "out" of the software & fiddling with settings, which can allow SMS to be received or dirverted to a "trash" folder and reviewed.. which of course defeats the purpose of having the software running....

BUT... big news from Telstra, Recieved a SMS from Telstra a few days ago announcing that from 2 July, 2013 SMS messages will be blocked using "Smart Controls"  ... Great News!

Cheers,

Gary

Highlighted

Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 520 ..... i had a mobile number blocked from calling me ...

My question is.. can i turn it off/on or do i have to ring telstra? as i did for them to block the number?

clw

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Best to call the unwanted calls team to ensure exactly what you want is done properly, follow the links on this page below;

http://telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/advice/unwelcome-calls/call-types/index.htm

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How come Smart Controls is not working again today. We cannot get in to the website to adjust the settings on the kids phones again. When will it be up please?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AJR2093_2,

Are you able to log into your "my account" at all? Or is it just when you try to navigate to the smart controls section once logging in?

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit