CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Spam masquerading as Telstra online bill

Answered

I've just received a very real looking email supposedly from Telstra with a online billing notice. It caught my attention because it noted that I had an overdue amount owing ... which concerned me somewhat. Luckily I noticed the .exe file that downloaded when i clicked on the attached "bill" (as per standard telstra billing email practices) zip file and didn't launch it so was fine; and also didn't click on any of the links.

So this note is mainy a warning to others rather than a request for help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Spam masquerading as Telstra online bill

Hi bbourke2,

It is very much a probability that you have had some nasties installed on your computer from the 'ZIP' file that was included in this Hoax email. I would recommend that you run all of your Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and Anti-Phishing programs to see what has been installed and hopefully have this removed.

I can assure you that we will only send your invoice as a'.PDF' attachment without 'EXE' on the end of this. To see a full breakdown of how to protect yourself against these Hoax email's, please follow the link:

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/protect-yourself-from-phishing

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

Hi ecleland and welcome to CrowdSupport

Thank-you for taking the time to register and post this information for other Telstra customers, it's greatly appreciated.

Regards

Deanna 

Highlighted

I think I have received the same email. I downloaded the attached "bill" which was a zip file. I double clicked to unzip it and saw that the file suffix was .pdf.exe. I tried to open/launch this but it wouldn't launch. I then removed the .exe suffix and tried to launch but still unsuccessful. Could this be malware and could it have installed nasties on my computer. I'm using a Mac.

Thanks

Highlighted

Thanks bbourke. I'll be sure to pass this on to the Community Manager

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi bbourke2,

It is very much a probability that you have had some nasties installed on your computer from the 'ZIP' file that was included in this Hoax email. I would recommend that you run all of your Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and Anti-Phishing programs to see what has been installed and hopefully have this removed.

I can assure you that we will only send your invoice as a'.PDF' attachment without 'EXE' on the end of this. To see a full breakdown of how to protect yourself against these Hoax email's, please follow the link:

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/protect-yourself-from-phishing

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thank you for reporting this suspicious email, it is important to be aware of information and advice that Telstra have posted in our Help / FAQ site that cover these type of situations, along with a reporting mechanism set-up for customers to report phishing scams, hoax calls etc.. 

Remember that if an email or file seems odd or not what you were expecting, confirm with the sender that it’s safe to open. You can also find out more about malware and what you can do to stay protected:https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/about-malware-and-the-damage-it-can-cause

Highlighted

I ahve received two of these today. Very genuine looking and I do not know if just a coincidence but arrived the same day as my genuine Telstra Bill. Very bad malware therein.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit