CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
threadm
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra APN settings prevent the use of a proxy server?

I find it very strange that telstra do not allow me to use a proxy on the mobile network.

1. I can't edit the default APN to allow me to send traffic to a custom proxy setup I have made.

2. When I create a new APN the proxy settings are ignored altogether.

I'm just wanting to send data through my proxy so I can cache and compress data in a more efficient way. I do get the idea that this setup is preventing data logging but I just want to save on data, not subvert the authorities. Are your data logging techniques so crap you have to block proxies on your mobile network altogether.

This process works with vodifone and optus. If anybody could help me understand why using a proxy is banned on telstra mobile, that would be great.

If push comes to shove, ill root my mobile to allow me to edit all setting.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
threadm

Re: Telstra APN settings prevent the use of a proxy server?

I've posted this on a few websites including whirlpool to get some answers. It just seems very strange that telstra are restricting services. I want to use a proxy on the mobile network without rooting my phone, why can't I do this with the APN? Hotspotting the phone will allow other devices to access the proxy via the wifi settings but the APN is what I want to use. Can someone please tell me why telstra ignore proxies via the APN.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Are you referring to changing the current APN (E.g Telstra.bigpond or Telstra.internet) to something else?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
threadm

No just finished a conversation with a rep.

A transcript of this secure Chat is retained and may be monitored for coaching purposes. You can view our Privacy Statement at telstra.com. Please select 'End chat' if you do not wish to proceed.
Honey Lou
You're connected with Honey Lou
Honey Lou
Good afternoon! Thank you for waiting on the queue. A lovely Tuesday to you, Welcome to Mobile Care - Telstra Live Chat! How can I help you today?
Nic
I find it very strange that telstra do not allow me to use a proxy on the mobile network.

1. I can't edit the default APN to allow me to send traffic to a custom proxy setup I have made.

2. When I create a new APN the proxy settings are ignored altogether.
Nic
Are you there?
Honey Lou
Yes, I am still here, the messages came in just now. Sorry for the latency.
Nic
Ok
Honey Lou
Nic, what is it exactly you are trying to do?
Nic
Use my apn settings to connect to my proxy server.
Honey Lou
So that I can check if can help you on it.
Honey Lou
Sorry, I understand APN. May I ask what device you have right now?
Nic
Android s5. Also does not work on my nexus or sony
Honey Lou
APN is for you to access mobile internet. You mean it's not working on your phone is that right?
Nic
The proxy server. It will connect for a few seconds then will be ignored. I want to use my private proxy to save on data and cache data. So no the apn is not working properly
Nic
Internet works but it will ignore the proxy settings.
Nic
I need to use a poxy server which is hosted in australia.
Nic
Proxy will work for a few seconds then telstra block it.
Honey Lou
I got you! Let me check all the options that we have here and see if that will work.
Honey Lou
Please allow me to access your account. May I have your full name, date of birth, mobile number and email address?
Nic
######## my details
Honey Lou
Thanks! I'll pull up the account now, give me 2 minutes.
Nic
Ok
Honey Lou
Thank you for waiting, Nic. I have verified the information and yes, you cannot use your proxy server for the internet. It is not possible for mobile and mobile broadband because Telstra has it's own default APN that phone needs to recognized. I think using proxy server/gateway is only possible for ADSL connection.
Honey Lou
Nic, may I ask for your email address?
Nic
Ok, but my apn settings work. It connects to the proxy for a few seconds then just stops. Data still works but not through my proxy. Its like it works for a bit then telstra simply block the proxy. This works on a rooted phone that I setup to have a soft bridge to the gsm.
Nic
###########my email
Honey Lou
Thank you for giving out your email. Lastly, what is the password you setup on the account?
Nic
I don't remember the password.
Honey Lou
The default APN for telstra will surely work but if you use a proxy it should not allow you. Like what you have mention it works for a bit then it will be blocked.
Honey Lou
That's alright if you can't remember the password you created as long as we are not going to account itself.
Nic
No, I can still connect to the Internet but it won't traverse through the proxy. It will for a few seconds then stops on the proxy only. Data will still work.
Nic
The apn is using telstra.Internet.
Honey Lou
That's right. It will not allow you to use proxy that the bottom line since it is not possible for mobile phone. Telstra does not allow it. By the way, what is the reason why you want to use the proxy knowing that you have an access to mobile data using Telstra's APN.
Nic
I can compress data more efficiently to save on data usage. Like I said before, it will allow it then it blocks it. Other providers let this happen and I can do it if I root the phone which I don't want to on my s5.
Honey Lou
I got you, Nic. But then again if you are running a business the question why selling data if customer's can use proxy right? Business wise it's not a good idea. I am a customer myself and I have tried doing proxy server and this is something that the company shouldn't know about. If other providers let you use it that's fine but not Telstra. Telstra is very keen to details. They have though of this before other can do.
Honey Lou
*They have thought of this before others can do.
Nic
They still get the usage, I can just compress it by 30% it seems that this is to keep the Metadata scheme to aid authorities with fishing expeditions. I can do this on the Telstra network if I root the phone. So this isn't a please help me get connected type of chat. Its a why are telstra being so difficult about it. Again, Telstra cannot stop me only hinder the process. Should I be sharing this technique with others so they can save on Internet and also stop Metadata from being accessed.
Nic
We are not in Russia this should be allowed.
Nic
I have done this type of thing before. I would say to pass my details onto whomever so we can have a chat. We don't want another 3g capturing mess that I started a few years back.
Nic
Do you remember the article that started on whirlpool about telstra capturing all 3g users data.
Honey Lou
I get your point, Nick using proxy server can help you compress the data more efficiently, but if it's not allowed by Telstra we really cannot do anything about it. Maybe the best way that we can do here is consider this option and have this raised to the management.
Nic
You do that ?
Nic
Smiley Happy
Type your message...

End Chat  Send

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5 on the Telstra Mobile network

threadm

Root the phone is the only way. Its quite disingenuous to have the setting their but to just ignore it. If the phone is rooted, you can create a secondary network that bridges to the mobile network. The use of a proxy is then allowed because it doesn't require using the apn settings. My data isn't blocked because this activity of not allowing a proxy isn't in the T&C. Its just another way telstra can track users without legal implications. Just because Metadata is now in the Grey area, does not mean you can actively change systems to aid in the capture. This is preventing a legitimate use of a system but is blocked because of some tweak on the network. Not happy Telstra. Pull your head in before someone does it for you.

kali

Dear frined. Sadndly to let you know that telstra or bigpond is doing lost of things to prevent customer from doing things that would help them improve their system. They have capped download to 1mb and don't allow you to improve our systems. Your mention Vodafone. I am also with Vodafone and I can tell you that they have become so proffesional in what they do that I hope one day they can provide in-home broaband. Bigpond or telstra is doing very nasty  thing they can to slow your ADSL speed and another nasty stuff as well if you get under their skin. When I read your issue and you mentioned that it doesn't happen to you with Vodafone, you are right because they are more honest than bigpond or telstra. Shame on you bigpond or Telstra!!

threadm

What?

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now