CrowdSupport®
AussieHolden
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra To Scrap Excess Data Charges For Customers ???

I would like to know when this will start as I have this blocked on all my services to avoid bill shock it was stated in the news on the 07/11/ 2011 in a few weeks.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/tablets/telstra-will-choke-download-speeds-instead-of-charging-ext...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Mitcho1989
Level 11: Detective

Re: Telstra To Scrap Excess Data Charges For Customers ???

I'd also like to know. Luckily I haven't gone over my limit so far, but since getting an iPhone 4S I've come pretty close, and am likely to use even more data in the future.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@AussieHolden wrote:

I would like to know when this will start as I have this blocked on all my services to avoid bill shock it was stated in the news on the 07/11/ 2011 in a few weeks.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/tablets/telstra-will-choke-download-speeds-instead-of-charging-ext...

Hey everyone, 

At this stage, no confirmed release date or confirmation of the availability of the Mobile Data Control service. But, I have asked for further information on this. Smiley Happy

Whilst it is not yet available, we kindly ask that you still do monitor your mobile data allowance. 

Considering that we will be introducing this service in the near future, it would be great to hear some thoughts on the pros and cons of having this service applied to mobile services.

Regards,

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mitcho1989

That's a shame considering the article said "in a few weeks", but after the whole iPhone 4S debacle, and to be honest - dealing with Telstra in general over the last few years, I'm not surprised it will take much longer.

Pros: - obviously no excess data charges, I'd rather have a slow speed than my bill skyrocketing and I have Wifi at home so it's not like I'll be missing too much.
- Peace of mind for parents who have a phone on a plan for their child/ren - might frustrate them, but the parents know exactly what the bill will be each month (unless they go over the call caps of course)
- (Not sure what else so far but will edit this post if I think of any more)

Cons:
- Slower speeds (won't bother me, but this will annoy some people, but then again I'm sure they'll be able to purchase blocks of data if they want the faster speeds)
- Possible issues implementing - over the years I've been with Telstra I've seen there's often been issues with implementing new features - people will possibly have their speeds slowed for no reason, or still have excess data charges after being told their speed will be slowed for exceeding the cap.
AussieHolden
Level 2: Rookie

As Mitcho1989 said 

Pros: - obviously no excess data charges, I'd rather have a slow speed than my bill skyrocketing and I have Wifi at home so it's not like I'll be missing too much.
- Peace of mind for parents who have a phone on a plan for their child/ren - might frustrate them, but the parents know exactly what the bill will be each month (unless they go over the call caps of course)

- NO BILL SHOCK THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE ISSUE.

CONS What cons there are none Smiley Wink

OH and yeah the article says within a few weeks so what's the hold up as I would like to unbar my data service for xmas it would have been nice. Smiley Sad

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Mitcho1989, 
Thanks for the reply and for the feedback! Smiley Happy 
That's a shame considering the article said "in a few weeks", but after the whole iPhone 4S debacle, and to be honest - dealing with Telstra in general over the last few years, I'm not surprised it will take much longer.
I remember reading the article when first released and was looking forward to having the service applied on my mobile services. I can confirm that it was released, however there were obivous issues experienced that has delayed the release to the wider community. 
-People will possibly have their speeds slowed for no reason, or still have excess data charges after being told their speed will be slowed for exceeding the cap.
At this stage, I am aware that further testing is being done to avoid the cons that you and AussieHolden have raised in your post.
I am sure that once all bugs are fixed, and it works we will release it and have it activated on customers mobile services. 
Mitcho1989 
AussieHolden
Pros: - NO BILL SHOCK THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE ISSUE.
All very valid Pros and something that I can relate to. 
Mitcho1989
Cons: 
-Slower speeds (won't bother me, but this will annoy some people, but then again I'm sure they'll be able to purchase blocks of data if they want the faster speeds)
Should a customer be shaped or their data cut off, and need more data they should be able to upgrade to a higher data pack. I think from a personal stand point, this will help manage customer spend levels and totally avoid BILL SHOCK!
Thanks for the feedback guys and keep the coming. 

Regards, 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Mitcho1989

Thanks Luis! Smiley Happy
holdup
Level 8: Inspector

is there any update on the issue. When telstra originally raised it there was a fair bit of media publication, and telstra and basically said it would be up and running by the end of the yr. When I called telstra the rep actually told me it would be effective from 21 Nov 2011. Since then there seem to have been 'technical difficulties' (as telstra described them), with a delay now extending to almost 5 months since it was originally promised. I can understand that there might be some delays, but the fact that telstra has failed to give any further info regarding it, and for that matter any further timelines, suggests that its going back on its word. one of the reasons I signed a 2 yr contract (rather than sticking to prepaid or a byo plan) was because of telstra's promise. Id hate to see telstra breaking this committment

NoDataExcess
Level 1: Cadet

So I am guessing Telstra are backing out of this?

They realised they are making too much money from excess Data Usage?

The promise of scrapping the Data Excess was one of the reasons I swapped to Telstra.

Now I remember why I left in the first Place.

trafa52
Level 1: Cadet

So a year later and I'm guessing its not coming in is it?? As someone who got screwed by their excess usage charges I'm not surprised. (I didnt go over my limit but they charged me @ $2/Mb from day one, only now getting to the bottom of it, after being bullied & strong-armed for 12 months) I can only imagine the extra dough they are raking in with some of these charges. WTF cant they have a capped or shaped option? Why announce this and slink away? Cynical exercise it seems...

Mitcho1989

Yeah I'd also like to know where this is up to, it's been ages now and we haven't heard another word on it, this is ridiculous.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi all,

Thanks for your post.

This project is still in development. We want to ensure the design is right and it delivers the right experience for our customers before we launch

Thanks 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now