CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Why go Post-Paid? - Is there any benefit to Post-Paid Plans??

Why do post paid plans cost more than Pre-Paid?

Is there any benefit or extra services to justify the higher costs of Post-Paid plans?

I just took over my phone from my employer and it is on a post-paid plan now but I am going to change to pre-paid unless someone can explain why post-paid is worth the cost??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why go Post-Paid? - Is there any benefit to Post-Paid Plans??

It all comes down to what you use it for. If you use data (>20GB per month) or travel overseas, then Post Paid is cheaper. If you only make calls and SMS and use less then 20GB per month, then PrePaid is the better option.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

There are generally better deals with Post Paid.

Post paid customers are offered better retention deals, if considering churning,

You don't have to worry about paying or service being disrupted as accounts have more payment flexibility,

If you have a home phone, there are discounts for both.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Thanks Jupiter,

What difference does it make if travelling? 

We have unlimited home broadband so 20Gig is plenty for my mobile, but I do hope to be travelling OS in future so what's the difference there?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Thanks Prof,

I'm curious about the "better deals" because at present it looks to my untrained eye as if I can get the same service for $30 pre-paid or $50 post-paid. 

Cheers.

Highlighted

Not as many countries are available if you are on a PrePaid Plan.

Check the map at https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/pre-paid-mobile to see if the countries you are visiting are covered, and https://telstra.com/overseas for PostPaid coverage.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi DMc2,

If you're on a Post Paid plan you can use International Day Pass in some countries.

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/mobile/international-roaming...

If you're on Pre-paid, you are charged at the PAYG (pay as you go) rates.

Depending on the country, you could be charged up to $5 per minute or part of a minute to make and receive calls on Pre-paid.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit