CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
waynies
Level 1: Cadet

seychelles scammers - one ring scam

Answered

Is there anything Telstra can do to block incoming calls to a mobile from overseas, which are almost certainly from a 'one ring' scammer?

For those that don't know, the one ring scam involves somebody from overseas dialing your phone, letting it ring once, so that a missed call appears on your phone. If you then return the missed call, you're actually ringing an overseas premium service (similar to our 1900 numbers) and can be billed a very large sum of money. 

I'm receiving occasional calls from the Seychelles, from a slightly different number each time prefixed with +248 26xxxxx.  Although I block the caller, the next time they ring it's from a slightly different number. I haven't returned the calls to confirm that it is a scam, but I don't receive overseas phone calls from anyone on my mobile, and a quick google search indicates the Seychelles is a hive of activity for this kind of scam. 

Is there anything Telstra can do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: seychelles scammers - one ring scam

Not a great deal that they can do. Just be vigilant.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

Not a great deal that they can do. Just be vigilant.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
slgalvin
Level 2: Rookie

Yeah been having the same calls this week also. Seems a lot of Aussies are per the google searches. Filthy scam artists.
crazyed66
Level 5: Eagle Eye

There are a large amount of Android and I guess iphone apps that identify and block known and possible scam numbers. I don't have a recommendation as I havn't looked into it. Also Google offers some advice by default with known numbers on newer versions of android.

Hope this helps

miyukoala

Over the weekend Myself, my wife, wife's friend and work colleague received a +248 26* call.

Starting to wonder someone’s address book was compromised.

Telstra can you help, if not..... is it possible to gage how many calls are being made to find the size of the scam/problem targeting Australia?

juancarlos1

I have received a cal from a 248 world area code that belongs to seychelles, unfortunately I have return the call but noone answer. subsequently I google it and I found that there is a scam where they ring once then people return the call subsequently they bill youfor large amount of money. I make the mistake of ringing before i realised that it was a scam. what shoul I do? . I already have blocked that number. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi juancarlos1,

That's really unfortunate, I do sincerely apologise you had such a call. 

I recommend reporting the call received to SCAMWatch via  Scamwatch.gov.au.

You can also find additional info on unwelcome calls via: 

https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/unwelcome-calls

Hope this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now