CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Tonksy
Level 1: Cadet

2.4GHz WiFi not working, 5GHz working fine

I've been on Telstra NBN (fibre to node) since May, mostly been working ok apart from the niggling outages over that time. However just today I haven't been able to use the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi on any devices, while the 5GHz is working fine. Everything was fine last night. All lights are as normal on the modem. Anyone experience a similar issue, or have any idea what may have happened?

Other thing is a few devices (ps4, smart tv) can't pick up the 5GHz connection, so I'm a bit stuffed there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
MattC29

Re: 2.4GHz WiFi not working, 5GHz working fine

I'm having the same problem.  Notice it on Tuesday

Lights are working but can't connect anything on the 2.4 ghz.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Guys,

Are there any error messages received when trying? Such as "incorrect password" ect?
Are you able to see the 2.4 network but just not connect to it?

Which modem?

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

bisco1405

bisco1405

Have the same problem, getting "incorrect password" on iPhone.
Modem is Technicolor TG800vac.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

By default, the last few models of modem are sent out with WPA2-AES encryption configured for the Wi-Fi connection. I would suggest that you try to enable WPA-TKIP + WPA2-AES to see if this makes any changes. 

I would also suggest trying to disable/enable the Wi-Fi network, "forgetting" the network on your iPhone and reconnecting. 

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

spotty1

says "incorrect password" . what i did: disconnect from netwok (forget network). changed to different security settings even using "none" just to see if i can connect but no help. turned off modem for half hour. push the tiny reset switch at the back of the modem. 5ghz works fine but we have printers and tv's that run only on 2.4ghz. what else can i do?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi spotty1, 

Which model modem are you using?

spotty1

modem tg799vac
spotty1

the modem light on Wi-Fi2.4ghz is off.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks spotty1. 

Can you try resetting the TG799 to factory default settings?

To do this get a paperclip, or something similar, and press and hold it into the reset hole at the back of the T-Gateway, keep in pressed in for 15 seconds. Give it 2-5 minutes to reconnect to the internet. Alternatively you may prefer to do this via the modems interface http://10.0.0.138

spotty1

already did. also logged in to 10.0.0.138. switched it on and off. changed security settings. i even used "none"
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for trying.

If your modem is less than two year old please give our technical support team a call on 133 933 so they can organise a replacement.

Anne1942

My Samsung Galaxy Tab cannot currently connect to the 2.4Ghz as it is 'not in range'. I also cannot pick up this network on any other devices.

Has there been an NBN change in the last week concerning things being switched off?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Anne1942

If you have something that can connect on the 5Ghz network or directly you will be able to jump into the modem interface ( address and login printed on the modem ) and jump into the WiFi tab and change channels. 

- AlistairQWA

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now