CrowdSupport®
Redbeard5
Level 1: Cadet

2.4GHz WiFi not working, 5GHz working fine

We recently signed up with Telstra and received a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2.

My home network had functioned perfectly before the switch, and suddenly my wifi printer and two computers didn't work.  The 2 computers won't see the network.  The printer just wouldn't communicate. 

I realized that the issues were all with N-wireless devices.  I turned off the band-steering and that allowed the printer to see the 2.4ghz network, but there's still no connectivity.  The computers wouldn't even see the 2.4ghz network. 

I replaced my wireless adapter on my desktop to an AC-wireless card.  This connected that computer fine.  But the printer is still an issue.  I will try a work around to hard wire the printer to the computer, and share it to the network as a hosted printer.   It just seems to me that there's something not right about the 2.4ghz broadcast.  

I'm not happy to have to say that Telstra's customer service on this has been atrocious.  There is no one available by phone to answer a few basic configuration questions.  Their answer has been to send out a "technician" during business hours, (lost work time at my expense) or for me to subscribe to Platinum.  I even offered to pay by the minute for the phone call, but they won't even let you speak to them without a full subscription.

Anybody else had issues with connection on 2.4ghz??  Got any fixes?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 2.4GHz WiFi not working, 5GHz working fine

There have been a few reports of people having the same issue with the Technicolor version off the Gen 2 modem. The fix is to ring support report the fault and they should issue you with a replacement modem.

Redbeard5
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for that - it's not the technicolor. It's an Arcadyan. Still apply?

It can still apply to the Arcadyan or any modem. I have seen reports of other modems with the same problem but most of the recent reports are with the Technicolor modem.

The fact that 2.4 GHz device can't see the WiFi is proof that its not working. The only thing to check in the modem is that both the 2.5 GHz Access point and radio are enabled in the WiFi setting. Also that SSID is set to broadcast and is not hidden.

As further proof that the 2.4Ghz is not working you could install the WiFi analyser by Haufner. It is free in the Windows store or install a WiFi analyser app on an android device and check for surrounding radio networks

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more