CrowdSupport®
HI30
Level 1: Cadet

2.4GHz WiFi not working, 5GHz working fine

Hi, I am using the telstra smart modem Technicolor DJA0231 and since earlier today, the internet went down for 10 mins and after that I cannot use the 2.4 ghz band on any of the devices. I have a few smart plugs, tv, ip cameras which use the 2.4 ghz band. The 5 ghz band is fine but its not usable through out the house as the rooms which are far from the modem, dont have a stable 5 ghz connection. Also spent 1.5 hr with the support team and they reckon its the network besides me pointing to them that the lan and 5 ghz are working fine. any ideas ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 2.4GHz WiFi not working, 5GHz working fine

Try factory reseti g modem by pressing reset button on back of modem for at least 10 seconds while modem is powered on. If still no 2.4 GHz then modem is faulty and should be replaced.

One thing you can trt to definitly prove 2.4 GHz band is not working is to disable band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band settings, this will result in -5G being added to end of the 5GHz band. If you can,t see the normal SSID on WiFi devices but only the normsl SSID with -5G added then modem's 2.4GHz band is faulty.

HI30

Tried the factory rest multiple times. band steering is off. I can connect to 5ghz but still cant see the 2.4 ghz band. Talked to Telstra support and they have organised a new modem. I still think this issue is related to a firmware update on the modem but i might be wrong.

Lets see how the new modem behaves.

It is probably a concidentd that wifi failure occurred at same time as firmware update. It is not uncommon for the 2.4 GHz wifi band to stop working on the Technicolor modems.

hertie

Hi,

My modem (same as yours) 2.4ghz also failed but I only noticed it today on my devices that I set to use 2.4ghz only. Those devices were working 2 days ago as well, didn't notice them fail yesterday as I wasn't using the devices.

I wonder if your firmware theory is correct and if anyone else has issues.

D-Jiddy

My 2.4ghz devices were connected fine yesterday morning. 

I noticed last night that they had disconnected and can no longer see the wifi network. 

Factory reset to no avail. 

1hr on the phone so far. Telstra claim there was not a firmware update pushed through and they are now pushing a paid tech support service. 

Do you know which version Firmware is installed on your modem. The firmware no is displayed on the LHS of the modem's login screen.

D-Jiddy

It says

18.1.c.0443-950-RA

D-Jiddy

They have now agreed to send out a replacement modem.

HI30

I still strongly suspect that firmware update is the cause for that as I did not change any settings. The modem restarted itself and after that i found out that 2.4 ghz band is not working. I am getting a new modem in a couple of days so hopefully it stays in my household for a while.

Seanwa

Im starting to suspect the firmware update also - my 2.4 ghz band went down at the same time

Doorlock

Add another one to the list of these modems's 2.4G not working.  This is now not an isolated incuident and is gettig to the point of requiring a mandatory product recall.  Are you listening Telstra ?

Andrew Newman

It is not a hardware problem but a firmware problem. There will probably be a patch or firmware update that fixes the problem.

NG9

Same issue with 2.4ghz band. Not able to connect two devices that work with 2.4ghz only. I haven't called Telstra yet. I hope it's a firmware issue and updated soon. 

Doorlock

Point taken cf4, however as I run a business that has now become somewhat disfunctional I am, I am sure you would agree, quite annoyed.  Not only is my business suffering but it took me a few hours of testing to work out what was actually happening, and only confirmed though this great community resource.  I can find nowhere on the main Telstra site that mentions this issue.

I am also concerned that it would seem Telstra can "patch" my modem with a firmware update without informing me.  Essentially they are tampering with my devices without my permission.  I do not think this is accepptable.

Do you have suggestion as to how I can get my business back on track without having to wait a normal "Telstra" time for a fix?

Andrew Newman

If you need 2.4 GHz WiFi buy a cheap 2.4 GHz WiFi range extender and plug it into one of the LAN ports on the modem. There are also cheap 2.4 GHz WiFi routers that can be connected to a LAN port on the modem.

Example TP link TL-WA850RE $40 at Kmart, Kmart also have TP link 2.4 GHz router for $30.

ray9481

I'm also in this boat.  All my devices on the 2.4 ghz band stopped working on Sunday night and I can only pick up WiFi in half my house.  Called Telstra, notified them of the problem, did the basic troubleshooting, then they did some further "advanced" remote testing last night and said they would send a technician to my house this morning.  Took the morning off work and got a SMS at around 10:30am saying they had done more remote testing and decided that they no longer needed to send a technician to the house.  Sent me a link to a fault status page and advised they would contact me "soon" with an update.  Haven't yet heard from them.  Obviously judging by the amount of posts on Crowd Support this is not an isolated issue.  Has anyone had it resolved yet?

Doorlock

Okay, thanks am looking into that now.  This will probably also solve a problem of the range of the current device when this is all over (I need to use the wi-fi over about 40 metres from the connection point).

As an update, have now received an SMS from Telstra saying they are sending me a replacement modem in 7-10 days.  They gave a number to ring so I rang, when I got to someone I thought might be able to help we got cut off, reason unknown.  Sadly that had already taken an hour of my time waiting and explaining and re-explaining, them investigating then passing me on.  I tried to ring back but by the time I got past the robot I had other things which I had to do.  I wish there was an email option so I could explain it once and then they would come back with a considered and researched answer rather than multiple random "on-the-fly" trouble shootings which, I expect, really does not save them any time in the end anyway just p****s people off so they don't call.

Andrew Newman

You might find your modem rebooting in next few days and after reboot the 2.4 GHz WiFi will start working again. Telstra has identified the cause of the problem and is close to issuing a config file update that fixes issue.

You will probably have to use a WiFi range extender to reliably connect a device 40 meters away depending on how good the WiFi is on the device. Some device easily connect at 40 Meters and others don't.

ray9481

I've received the same SMS advising that they will be sending me a new modem.  I keep checking to see if they have managed to fix the problem but no dice yet.  I assume given they're sending me a new modem that they don't believe they can fix it?

gmwheeler

I have experienced the same issue yesterday. Modem dropped out and after multiple power resets it came back to life but now the 2.4G can't be picked up. Accessing the modem shows it is enabled and working but no wifi device can *see* it.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

They are testing a new firmware fix at the moment (the cause of the issue has been identified), so hopefully it will be deployed shortly (can never commit to a timeframe until it passes the tests of course).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
LLY74

I am having the same issues as of yesterday also.

This is not good enough is ... I pay 100 a month for my service and this is the service I get!

gmwheeler

Thanks for letting me know.

ray9481

I received my new modem today.  All my devices can now connect to the WiFi again.  Now I just hope they don't send the firmware update that caused this mess to my new modem ...

Seanwa

Without having to request one - I received a new modem yesterday also.  2.4ghz problem solved 👍🏼

Wm99

I am having the same problem every time I talk to support they say I must pay premium support. very frustrating...premium support has still not called.

If your modem is the Gen 2 Technicolor modem and has the faulty firmware it should have been replaced without you needing to contact platinum support. If the modem is faulty  the fee for premium support should be waived.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now