CrowdSupport®
Level 3: Gumshoe

ADSL to NBN - Gen 2 Smart Modem set up

Answered

Gday, received my smart modem yesterday but it only contained the instruction card to connect to ADSL and not the NBN. Can i assume, when the pillar connection is made sometime today, I remove the signal splitter which goes to the ADSL & PSTN ports on the smart modem - and plug what will become the NBN point into the WAN port on the modem, yes ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL to NBN - Gen 2 Smart Modem set up

If you have and NBN NTD in your house that will connect to the red wan port via an ethernet cable. If you don't have an NTD connect the modem to the existing telephone wall socket to the grey dsl port of the modem.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

The FTTN VDSL connection still works with filter / spliter connected but best to connect DSL port directly to phone wall socket as removing filter / spliter removes a potential source for faults. It is only the phone port on the Filter / Spliter that is filtered so theoretical should have no effect on connection but if faulty could cause problems.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you have and NBN NTD in your house that will connect to the red wan port via an ethernet cable. If you don't have an NTD connect the modem to the existing telephone wall socket to the grey dsl port of the modem.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Highlighted

What type of NBN are you transferring to?
Yes you do remove the filter splitter.
If FTTC (received a NBN Co modem the NBN Co modem plugs into Telephone wall socket and connect red WAN port of modem to Ethernet port on NBN Co modem.
If FTTN/B connect the grey DSL port of modem into Telephone wall socket.
Connect Telephone into green phone port on modem and remove all devices connected to any spare phone wall sockets.
Highlighted

FTTN.

Got it, thanks.
Highlighted

No, no NTD in my house.

Thanks for that, I'll see what happens when I get home.
Highlighted

ok, so i got home - logged into my modem and it's moved from ADSL to VDSL2.

but i havent changed any of the connections from my previous set up.

splitter still connect to PSTN and ADSL ports, phone is plugged into the green port - and everything is working fine.

very odd.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The FTTN VDSL connection still works with filter / spliter connected but best to connect DSL port directly to phone wall socket as removing filter / spliter removes a potential source for faults. It is only the phone port on the Filter / Spliter that is filtered so theoretical should have no effect on connection but if faulty could cause problems.

Highlighted

will do.

i'll play around a little.

thanks for you help bro

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more