Highlighted
CarlW
Level 1: Cadet

All green lights but no internet (TG799vac NBN)

Answered
I have recently had NBN connected and I received my Telstra Gateway Max (TG799vac) modem yesterday.
I've plugged everything in where it should be and on the surface everything seems okay, but am unable to get a connection either through Ethernet or wifi, even though all the lights on the modem are green. See below;
Status light - green
WAN light - green
Internet light - flashing green
Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz light - green
Wi-Fi 5 GHz light - green
Ethernet light - flashing green
On the NBN box;
Power light - green
Optical light - flashing green
UNI-D 1 light - flashing orange

I can access the modem setup on my Mac using 10.0.0.138. It even comes up with a message "Your Broadband service is working normally. You are connected online". I have also tried connecting with a PC laptop with the same result. And just for reference, my iPhone and iPad can't get wifi either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
carl.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: All green lights but no internet (TG799vac NBN)

Hi Carl,

Start by going through the following post, it shows the basic troubleshooting for an NBN connection:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/NBN-Basic-troubleshooting/ta-p/...

This issue looks to be a dataflow one so I would recommend trying the same troubleshooting steps we do for speed issues.  Connect your PC directly to the UNI-D port on the NBN connection box (NTD)  and see if you can access the internet, without any Telstra equipment in the way.  If you can then it's possibly the Telstra equipment and a reset to factory default may help there.   If you can't connect to the internet in that configuration it may be an issue on NBNs side.

Go through the above link, if you are still getting no internet then contact us to investigate further.  1800 834 273 option 3.

- Ben  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

HUKOMBITAY
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

FOR THIS ISSUE, THE BEST WAY TO IMMEDIATELY FIX THIS IS RESETING YOUR MODEM TO DEFAULT SETTINGS.

HOW?

For TG799 modems:

1. Find the small hole in between the 2 USB ports at the back of the modem.

2. Insert a pin and long press for 15 seconds straight.

3. If all the lights on the modem would disappear and after a seconds the power light would reappear, then it means you done the right proceedure.

4. Wait for the modem to reconfigure. Patience achieves more than force. Give it 5 minutes to fully re-establish sync with the NBN lines.

Another tip:

Try to check if it affects ony a specific device or multiple devices.

If your technologi is FTTP (FIBER TO THE PREMISES), do an isolation test.

HOW:

1. Look at the NBN Box, if the OPTICAL light is green and the UNI-D  is amber then that means there's a data flow.

2. A cable is inserted at the UNI-D1 port of the NBN BOX, the other end of that cable is inserted at the WAN (COLOR RED) port of your modem. Please remove the cable from the WAN port of your modem and insert that cable directly to the ethernet port of your laptop or computer. 

3. Thru this step, we would be able to check if the internet works if your device is connected to the NBN bo without the modem in between. If the internet works while your device is connected directly to the NBNBOX, then there's a possibility that the issue is with the modem. 

4. If isolation test has been done, but yet still no internet connection, then theres a probable NBN fault affecting your service.

REMINDER:

Just make sure that when you do the isolation test by inseting the end of the UNI-D1 cable into the ethernet port of the laptop,  your device ethernet LAN card is not faulty or the drivers are updated. Because if you have a faulty laptop ethernet lan card, the NBN box wont detect your laptop and the isolation test would be useless.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Carl,

Start by going through the following post, it shows the basic troubleshooting for an NBN connection:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/NBN-Basic-troubleshooting/ta-p/...

This issue looks to be a dataflow one so I would recommend trying the same troubleshooting steps we do for speed issues.  Connect your PC directly to the UNI-D port on the NBN connection box (NTD)  and see if you can access the internet, without any Telstra equipment in the way.  If you can then it's possibly the Telstra equipment and a reset to factory default may help there.   If you can't connect to the internet in that configuration it may be an issue on NBNs side.

Go through the above link, if you are still getting no internet then contact us to investigate further.  1800 834 273 option 3.

- Ben  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

CarlW

Thanks Ben,
I turned off the NBN box and waited 2 minutes for it to reconnect. I then plugged the Ethernet cable from UNI-D 1 directly to the laptop. The optical light is flashing green and the UNI-D 1 light is flashing orange but I am still unable to get a connection on the laptop.
Is the 1800 number you mentioned the number I call for NBN support?
Cheers,
Carl.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Carl, 

Yes, if you call 1800 834 273 option 3, you'll get straight to the NBN technical support team, without the run around.

- Ben 

elim77

hi Carl,

Did your problem get fix? i have same problem today ... Telstra is sending techinician...but it's frustrating as I work from home and internet not working

Rgds

Ester

koala21

Same problem here please if anyone fixes there's let me know
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Koala21

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you later in the day. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

If you are experiencing difficulties with NBN services, please refer to the previous posts by Kenobi and contact Tech Support on 1800 834 273 option 3 so that your service can be investigated further.

- Shelly

MattField

I have the same issue with flashing OPTICAL light, and no internet... so isuppose i have to call and wait on the line????

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@MattField

A flashing Optical Light needs to be reported to NBN Co by us, so yes, you'll need to call 1800 834 273 to report the issue.

- Matt

HUKOMBITAY
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

FOR THIS ISSUE, THE BEST WAY TO IMMEDIATELY FIX THIS IS RESETING YOUR MODEM TO DEFAULT SETTINGS.

HOW?

For TG799 modems:

1. Find the small hole in between the 2 USB ports at the back of the modem.

2. Insert a pin and long press for 15 seconds straight.

3. If all the lights on the modem would disappear and after a seconds the power light would reappear, then it means you done the right proceedure.

4. Wait for the modem to reconfigure. Patience achieves more than force. Give it 5 minutes to fully re-establish sync with the NBN lines.

Another tip:

Try to check if it affects ony a specific device or multiple devices.

If your technologi is FTTP (FIBER TO THE PREMISES), do an isolation test.

HOW:

1. Look at the NBN Box, if the OPTICAL light is green and the UNI-D  is amber then that means there's a data flow.

2. A cable is inserted at the UNI-D1 port of the NBN BOX, the other end of that cable is inserted at the WAN (COLOR RED) port of your modem. Please remove the cable from the WAN port of your modem and insert that cable directly to the ethernet port of your laptop or computer. 

3. Thru this step, we would be able to check if the internet works if your device is connected to the NBN bo without the modem in between. If the internet works while your device is connected directly to the NBNBOX, then there's a possibility that the issue is with the modem. 

4. If isolation test has been done, but yet still no internet connection, then theres a probable NBN fault affecting your service.

REMINDER:

Just make sure that when you do the isolation test by inseting the end of the UNI-D1 cable into the ethernet port of the laptop,  your device ethernet LAN card is not faulty or the drivers are updated. Because if you have a faulty laptop ethernet lan card, the NBN box wont detect your laptop and the isolation test would be useless.

rachelwade

We have this issue also - we've managed to get most devices connected by having them use Google's public DNS. So perhaps it's an issue with Telstra's DNS?

I work for Telstra. However any thoughts, opinions, or ramblings expressed by me are my own and not those of Telstra.
rivers-1

I have similar issues, so far Telstra techs have sent a replacement  modem ,told me I must pay platinum support to help me with my browser  settings even though I told them 2 iPads lost connection over wi fi and my iMac earthnet connected lost connection as well as 2 iPhones ,I even tried using outlook browser.

Problem is because for some reason I can load YouTube and facebook on each device they say its my fault——————- till now, 10 hrs on the phone later that  its a data flow issue at their end .

I am still without the ability to browse , I am even unable to go on a Telstra site .

The issue is supposed to be resolved by a tech.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

My apologies for the poor experience rivers-1.  Do you know if the team you spoke to on the phone, escalated this for a higher level investigation?

rivers-1

Thanks Kenobi,
It was told it was going to a higher level yesterday just before switching me to Platinum .
As of right now internet back to normal. However no phone call to advise yet !!! Maybe its going to be short lived.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it's working again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now