CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
David_Dickinson
Level 2: Rookie

Arcadyan Gen 2 Smart Modem - Xbox issues

Hi all,

I recently got the Arcadyan Gen 2 Smart modem, which has improved our speed considerably from the Technicolor modem that we were using.

However, experienced 100% packet loss on one of the xbox one's that we have.  This I know is related to the NAT settings in place. As such, I port-forwarded the relevant ports to the xbox which has rectified the issue.

I also have another xbox one, and an xbox 360 trying to access xbox live as well.  I cannot forward the ports to more than one device as the Arcadyan modem says that the port is already in the list.

What I think I need to do is to turn off NAT completely on the modem.  Is this possible?  Are there any other workarounds to get all 3 xbox's working properly with this modem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Arcadyan Gen 2 Smart Modem - Xbox issues

From my understanding port forwarding to that many devices isn't going to work on the Telstra Smart Modem. I'd recommend looking into a gaming router that is capable of doing what you need it to.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

ClintC
Level 1: Cadet

I port forwarded to my Xbox yet still had 100% packet loss

I ended up reverting back to my old technicolor

I can’t believe that a new modem does this

Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you tried disabling LAN IPv6 in the modem (Advanced > Local Network) and reconnecting Xbox?
David_Dickinson

Hi @ClintC

I did all of the port forwarding etc, had uPNP on, even tried DMZ but had nothing but troubles with this modem.

Some times the xbox would be fine and have open NAT. During this time, 0% packet loss. Then for no reason at all, NAT would changed to closed and then 100% packet loss. Only thing I could do is change the static IP address of the xbox and change the port-forward. Then it worked fine.

I spoke with Telstra Premium Support, who, after 1 1/2 hours of trying to fix the issues gave me the solution of buying multiple static IP's on the Telstra network. I kindly informed them that this would not fix the issue, and I finished the help chat paying nothing.

Basically, Telstra will want to try to charge you to support your xbox with this modem. You will need to keep contacting them to try and fix without a good solution.

I have actually just contacted them and am now returning their new wonderful Gen 2 smart modem (and not paying any additional charges), and have just bought a brand new modem that has worked straight away.
Tommoh91

We just got one of these modems and I cant for the life of me figure out how to port forward to get my xbox live working properly. Any suggestions at all? Ive followed online instructions but to no avail.

Thanks,

Tom

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

​​​​​​@Tommoh91 - Have you followed the suggestions from cf4 in the comments above or in this thread?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tommoh91

I’ve tried everything I’ve read on all pages which seem to exist regarding this issue and still no joy. Losing the plot with it now. 😢
JohnnyDubz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Someone is saying an update to their modem fixed it. I wish they would indicate what version of firmware they are now on?

I am running the Arcadyan Smart Modem Gen 2, on 0.05.04r firmware

XBOX One X won't connect to XBOX Live at all. 100% packet loss.

Also I get dropouts from EA Origin on my PC every 5 minutes.

Neither problem existed on the old modem which was a 2 year old Technicolor Gateway Max.

The problem is only occurring on the Arcaydian version of the Gen 2 Smart Modem.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

JohnnyDubz

If this only exists on the Arcadyan, I am going to request I be sent a Technicolor Gen 2 ASAP free of charge.

Seriously its not as if the XBOX One is an uncommon piece of kit for customers to use. The Arcadyan appears to have been rushed out as an unfinished product.

In Telstra's own advertising of the launch of Gen 2 they say:

The revamped Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 is just another way we are supporting a stronger, smarter, safer network. It delivers benefits that directly contribute towards our T22 productivity initiatives, with 50% less calls and complaints from customers using the Telstra Smart Modem 1.0.

There must have been a hell of a lot complaints about Gen 1.0 !!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey JohnnyDubz,

I have addressed your post on the duplicate thread located at

https://tel.st/fpwd6

Please have any further comments or questions directed to the one thread so they can be answered asap. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JohnnyDubz

Having just purchased and installed a TECHNICOLOR Gen 2 Smart Modem, I can confirm XBOX Live works straight out of the box.

The 100% packet loss issue affects only the Arcadyan.

Some of the people from Telstra support seem to know this, others say they never heard of that problem. Others say that as the Xbox is a 3rd party device they dont care if it doesnt work as long as the Internet is working - WOW!

It would be nice for Telstra to issue an OFFICIAL STATEMENT saying that they are aware of issues with the Arcadyan Gen 2 Smart Modem and XBOX Live - and that a fix is being worked upon and will be rolled out in the next few weeks.

Might save a lot of calls/emails/blog posts.

I would say the Technicolor GUI pages load much, much faster than the Arcadyan as well.

Far prefer the Technicolor.

Jac304

Hi, we have just gone over to NBN and was provided the Gen 2 smart modem and are getting Xbox issues, we cannot connect to Destiny 2, we have tried the port forwarding, upnp, but nothing is working and was wondering what modem you bought.
Rae2456

We just had our old Technicolour Gen 1 Smart Modem replaced with a Technicolour Gen 2 model. We are having the same 100% packet loss issue on Xbox One. If there is a solid fix for this issue, Telstra need to communicate it immediately. Adding this issue to the very long list of ongoing internet problems we have raised with them.... DingoDan..... fix please....

To my knowledge the Technicolor variant of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 isn't affected by the 100% packet loss issue on xbox.

Rae2456

Thankyou....
It's the DJA0231 we have and we are having the following issues....
100% packet loss
Nat type - Strict
Network behind port-symmetric NAT

Have plugged in our old Technicolour Gen 1 and its working fine via 4G, so something not right with this Gen 2 we have.
Happy to take on any advice that you think may help.... am ready to throw the thing against the wall.
Rae2456

Sorry.....also getting the message UPnP not supported...
Thanks

Have you checked that UPNP is enabled in the modem (Advanced > WAN Services)
Rae2456

Yes.
Am not super tech savvy, but have done some research on this issue...
UPnP is Enabled
Nat-PMP is Enabled
Have tried adding the Xbox One IP to the DMZ - FAIL
Have tried port forwarding - FAIL
Have reduced Firewall to LOW

Also, our BRAND NEW DJA0231 currently WILL NOT connect to the internet via our ADSL phone line.... it will only connect via 4G back up. Have a tech coming to check it out on Friday.
Any other suggestions???

Have you checked that your bigpond username (full bigpond primary email address) and password has been entered into the ppp section of the Basic Broadband settings?

When modem is on 4G UPNP, Port Forwarding and DMZ have no effect due to the double NAT on Telstra’s mobile network.

Rae2456

Thanks cf4 and 343GuiltySpark
Overnight our modem went from 4G backup to ADSL, and when I tested the Xbox this morning, we have Open Nat!!!!!!
Thanks again for your help, guessing it was the double NAT issue that cf4 raised on last post, due to the modem being on 4G backup!!!
No more grumpy husbandit!!!!!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now