CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Arcadyan LH1000 0.09.11r - any update on NAT loopback

does anyone know if and when it will be done? thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 0.09.11r - any update on NAT loopback

Telstra is working on a complete fix for NAT loop back and hopefully it will be available in the next firmware update.

NAT does work in some cases with firmware 0.0.9.11r.

I have found the for NAT loopback to work with current firmware.

1. There must be a port forwarding rule set up. If the port is opened using UPNP and no rule is set up manually in the port forwarding table NAT does not work.
  2. If the server is on a device is connected to modem by WiFi NAT loop back will only work if device trying to connected to server by NAT loop back is on a device connected to modem by LAN cable or connected to the modem's other WiFi band.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

thank u very much for your prompt reply! unfortunately we could not do port forwarding due to 10 rule limitation as we have  lots of devices. but we did setup UPNP with diff ports for diff devices and it works! thanks a lot!

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I've found that NAT loopback also works with the following configuration:

1. There is an explicit port forward defined (as stated above).

2. The port forward points to a device that's connected via a physical ethernet interface.

3. The device trying to access the NAT is associated with the wireless interface of the LH1000.

In this configuration, any device that is connected via a physical ethernet interface will not be able to reach the NAT. So it appears that the device's NAT configuration will only allow devices to connect to the NAT if requested from the alternate medium. i.e. wfi -> phy, phy -> wifi, not wifi -> wifi or phy -> phy. Because the LH1000's wireless radio is not great, I have an additional access point configured to extend range. Because this access point is connected to the LH1000's physical ethernet interface, my devices lose access to the NAT'd services as they move their association from the LH1000 to the access point.

This is a major issue, especially for (but not limited to) those customers who were left with no choice pay for a static IP (like myself). This essentially means that my static IP is a waste of money, as it only works for a portion of the time (external to the local network, or when connected to the device's wifi). As we move towards a more connected world with home automation, embedded IoT and the likes, this requirement will only become more critical.

The LH1000 device is critically flawed. The technology of NAT is a far stretch from being cutting edge, yet the flagship device that Telstra is promoting and selling to its customers is grossly inadequate and not fit for purpose. Devices that provide this type of capability have been around for decades. Why can't an appliance being sold in the 2020's perform the most basic of operations?

Telstra, this is NOT acceptable. Moving to the NBN (which I was forced to do two weeks ago) is a realisation of regressiong 20 years; The speed is only 35% of what I had on cable, the inherent implementation of DHCP leasing is gone, the modem supplied doesn't perform all the tasks that the previous C6300 did, and with all these newly imposed limitations, the cost is the more than my recently deceased BigPond Cable service. I wouldn't be using the LH1000 if I didn't need it to enable access to the phone service that I also pay for. I'm not of the mindset of throwing 3-4 devices (NBN NTU, Telstra modem for phone services, secondary modem to provide actual service, etc) at the Telstra-created problem just to get my basic service operational.

/cf4, you seem to have a finger on the pulse of this issue, where do you get the information regarding current firmware development?

Highlighted

When I did my testing I found that if the server is connected by LAN cable it can be connected to by both LAN and WiFi. My modem did have the latest firmware installed 0.10.05r which has not been released to a few modems. I will have to retest incase I made a mistake in the testing.

As a member of crowdsupport Brains trust gives access to this information. The information is not complete. Even Telstra Technicians don't have access to all the information.

What I do know is that fixing NAT loopback on the Arcadian modem is a priority. What is causing the problem has now been identified so it shouldn't be long before a firmware is released that fixes that problem. Instead of making 0.10.05r availble for every modem a firmware version that fixes NAT loopback might be available and Telstra will releases this firmware instead.

Highlighted

Re tested NAT loop back using a LAN server and a LAN client. Worked for video streaming server and a ftp server.

Only two situation I have found were NAT loopback doesn't work with firmware version 0.10.05r are

1. A manual port forwarding rule has not been set in modem or
  2. The server and the client are both on same WiFi band.

Providing a port forwarding rule has been set in modem NAT loop back works.

1. LAN server to LAN Client
  2. LAN Server to WiFi Client
  3. WIfi Server to LAN Client
  4. WiFi 2.4 GHz band Server or Client  to Wifi 5 GHz Band Client or Server.

Highlighted

Thanks for this info. Personally, I'd be happy to be moved to 0.10.05r in the interim if that means having a working NAT loopback for physical client to server. At present, my only option to reach my services is to switch my client to mobile data/hotspot.

Highlighted

Unfortunately, as reported elsewhere, 0.10.05r doesn't resolve my NAT loopback problem. LAN-connected devices still cannot reach LAN-connected devices through NAT loopback. Wireless devices (associated against the Arcadyan) can reach LAN-connected devices through NAT loopback.

Is this an issue with the Technicolour? Should I be looking to get the Arcadyan replaced with something that works?

Highlighted

The Technicolor modem has full  NAT loop back support.

Highlighted

hmmmm.... Does the Technicolor have any of it's own major faults? How might one explicitly request a Technicolor replacement? I can already predict how the conversation with Telstra tech support will go; It's unlikely to result in a positive resolution, let alone an understanding of the problem or request.

Highlighted

The only faults I have found with Technicolor are with its DTMF base and its DLNA  server. Some people have trouble with modem rebooting when a iPhone with IOS 13 is connected.

Normal support staff have no control over which model modem I'd sent as a replacement. You will probably have to lodge a complaint.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more