CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
MurrayWA
Level 2: Rookie

Arcadyan LH1000 - custom DNS settings

Please give instructions on setting a custom DNS address on the Arcadyan LH1000 modem. The "Local Network" and "Local Network-IPV6" tabs do not allow setting of the DNS address, only selection of pre-configured DNS providers.
The default DNS addresses are for the lowest level of filtering. I would like to set the CleanBrowsing higher level of filtering, "Family Filter".

ArcayanLH1000_DNS.png

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 14: Field Agent Mkrtich
Level 14: Field Agent

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 - custom DNS settings

Hi - in case this helps, not sure if this will work as I don't know what a DNS Suffix does in the modem's programming - it could lock it into he Telstra DNS Servers. I was able to set CleanBrowsing by removing 'gateway' in the DNS Suffix field by either selecting the x or just highlighting and deleting it, then chose CleanBrowsing, their DNS entries auto populated the fields e.g. on my firmware, V0.05.04r, 185.228.168.9 and same for Secondary which is unusual - expected a different secondary address, then SAVE. This entry also differs from their web site entries 185.228.168.168 and .169, but they may be country specific. In case it impacts things, also same for IPv6 folio works.

From my experiments, unless you remove 'gateway' there is no way of saving a change - the SAVE button does not appear when DNS Suffix shows 'gateway'. I haven't tested if it works as the LH1000 I have is faulty.  

MurrayWA
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for your response Mkrtich, but I can actually save as any of the pre-configured DNS servers provided in the drop-down list without messing with the suffix.

The problem I have is that you cannot manually enter any different DNS server IP's, so you are stuck with what Telstra serves you up.

Another issue I have with the LH1000 (as the standard for most routers...) is that the physical reset button on the back defaults all the parental settings, including the DNS server setting as the 14 year old has worked out. What I need is a software selection to prevent hardware resets.

My apology, I misread your original post. The drop down list is well intentioned, convenient and may be considered safe by Telstra for reasons unknown to us, and yes, it is strange that they have no 'Other' category to put in your own DNS requirements. Maybe one of the Forum's Moderators could pass this on to the Product Manager for consideration in future firmware releases. 

External devices such as a third party router with the function you are seeking or a specific related Parent Control product such as the Koala Safe/Dome Access Point connected to your modem may provide you with more flexibility, however these require expenditure and setup but they can not overcome physical access to your equipment. The only non elegant way of securing your equipment from wondering hands is to use a small wall or floor mounted locked data equipment cabinet as used in IT departments of businesses.

Level 24: Supreme Being

The most likely outcome of a firmware update would be the removal of option to change DNS entirely. Telstra prefers customers to use Telstra's DNS. Previous Telstra modems that had the option of changing DNS settings have had the option removed in firmware updates. Even if the option was available people on the network could use a custom DNS on there device which would override any DNS set in the modem.

@cf4 - you may be in a position to comment on this - would you know if the complimentary Telstra Broadband Protect Service which is bundled with every internet plan provides a higher layer of support at the Carrier Network level in addition to the modem settings. Apart from RSP's obligation to keep records under government policies (unaware if related?), maybe this is why the DNS Servers are locked in or does the 24/7 access simply control the modem settings? 

This FAQ seems to imply it is at Carrier Network level and the parent can control access, protection and filtering settings via the 24/7 Log-In or 24/7 App rather than 192.168.0.1. Allows Parent to set the Family Safety Link to Low, Medium and High Levels, Set Time Restrictions, Receive Notification when someone attempts to access a blocked site. Seems it also includes Network Protection for your device via an on line certification test with a Tick to verify activation, Social Network Protection and further device protection with Anti-Virus Plus Security up to 6 devices.

If it works, it must be Telstra's best kept secret and became free in 2016.    

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/security/how-to-use-parental-controls-and-home...

The Telstra Broadband protect is incompletely separate to the parental controls in the modem and relies on devices using the Telstra DNS services. The Telstra DNS are also used for blocking some sites that are blocked by law. This is probably why Telstra prefers customers use there DNS.

ISPs don’t have to rely on people using there DNS to track what people are doing on the web. To track internet activity they only have to know we’re the data packets are going and this can only be hidden by using VPN.

The verification test checks that you are using Telstra’s DNS. If using custom DNS and even if Telstra Broadband protect is set to maximum the test will fail. It is very easy for a smart child to bypass the online parental  controls by using a custom DNS on there device. Another problem with the online parental controls is they effect all devices connected to the modem. I haven’t seen any online parental time controls, but there are controls for blocking sites and certain types of traffic.

In my opinion the parental controls in modem are more effective as you limit the controls to particular devices and they don’t rely on devices using Telstra’s DNS.

Appreciate the feedback and the clarification on the way Broadband Protect works. There is always a sense of mystery involved with Telstra products and services due to, what seems to be in some cases, a purposeful lack of any user documentation or decent user guides by Telstra, with Crowd Support users filling in the missing gaps based on their experiences.

Thank you. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more