CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Arcadyan LH1000 in 4G failover mode successfully connects but network unreachable

Yesterday, Telstra disconnected my landline and ADSL even though the NBN technician is not due to arrive for another 6 days.

I have the Telstra Arcadyan LH1000 modem running the following versions:

Product Vendor:   Arcadyan
Product Name:  LH1000
Boot Version:  1.0.38-116.118
Firmware Version:  0.08.06r
Hardware Version:   01

The modem successfully detects that ADSL is down and establishes a connection type of "LTE-routed-mode" via the 4G sim and acquires a WAN IPv6 address.  
The modem has no WAN IPv4 address.  
The modem issues both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to all the devices on wifi.

I am able to ping the modem's IPv4 internal network address (192.168.0.1) and ping its internal IPv6 address.

I am not able to reach any further (ping to IPv4 addresses or ping6 to IPv6 addresses outside this local lan).  I cannot reach the default gateway (an IPv6 address) nor the known IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for the google DNS.

The web interface for the modem does have a ping and trace route diagnostic tool, but these appear to only IPv4.  A ping from this interface to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS IPv4) fails.

After 1 call to standard Telstra support and 3 calls to premium support, the issue is still unresolved.

I have tried:
 a) a factory reset of the modem
 b) disabling IPv4 on the modem
 c) disabling IPv4 on my MacBook pro

none of these improve the situation.  Any suggestions on what I try next?

Is firmware 0.08.06r the latest version?

I read on whirlpool that Telstra does still support access to IPv4 websites when running via the IPv6 4G failover connection (it does address translation as needed) - can someone confirm this please.
MJ

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 in 4G failover mode successfully connects but network unreachable

The most likely cause is that NBN has not yet fully activated your service.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 in 4G failover mode successfully connects but network unreachable

Thanks - NBN won't be installed on premises for another 6 days, but doesn't the 4G fallback work  even for ADSL customers ?

MJ
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Your ADSL previous service has no connection/relationship with anything NBN.

You'll need to set up your mobile phone to be a hot spot until the NBN is officially activated.(but monitor that the mobile data you draw is within your allowance).

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

You should be able to access the internet over the 4G backup while waiting for NBN connection. What colour are the Online, Wireless Mode and Wirless Signal leds on the back of the modem?

Highlighted

My modem pre-dates my request to transition from ADSL to NBN (the modem was being used for ADSL).  Are you saying that because they have disconnected my landline / ADSL connection that they have also fully disabled the use of my modem to access the internet?

MJ
Highlighted

The led on the front is blue.  All leds on the back are green. The led that indicates the modem is using "mobile mode" is green.

When I access the modem web interface, it shows that the modem is in 

"LTE-routed-mode" via the 4G sim and has acquired a WAN IPv6 address.  
The modem has no WAN IPv4 address.  
MJ
Highlighted

The WAN / DSL light should not be green. If the DSL port is connected try disconnecting DSL port on the modem.

On 4G backup the modem will only have a WAN IPv6 address, but internet should still work. Has the modem ever worked on 4G backup?

Highlighted

In one of the premium support calls, they asked me to disconnect the DSL port - that led does go out when I do so.  Then did a hardware factory reset.  Neither option made a difference.  In the next premium support call, they asked me to reconnect it.  Led comes back on.

The modem has never worked on 4G backup.

MJ
Highlighted

I've just tried removing the PSTN as well.  Another led goes out (Phone).  I'll try another reboot.

No difference

MJ
Highlighted

You might have a faulty modem or Telstra might have configured 4G back incorrectly. I don't have one of those modem's so I don't know what settings can be changed but these are the settings.

Data APN: telstra.hybrid

PDP Type: IPv6/IPv4

Username: Blank

Password; Blank

Authentication: None

Highlighted

Thanks cf4 - that made a difference but still not fixed.

Previously:

Data APN: blank 

PDP type:  IPv6

Now, after a modem reboot, it has WAN IPv4 as well as WAN IPv6 address.  Plus an IPv4 gateway address and IPv4 DNS addresses

Here are the ping / ping6 results:

WAN IPv4 address:  Yes

WAN IPv4 gateway:  No

Internal modem IPv6:  Yes

WAN IPv6 address: No

WAN IPv6 gateway:  No

MJ
Highlighted

Maybe I'll try changing the Data APN but leave PDP type as it was (ie no IPv4)

MJ
Highlighted

Is the WAN/DSL light still green on the modem?

Highlighted

No - DSL & PTSN are disconnected as you advised previously.

---

Reverting PDP type to IPv6 only kills all the IPv4 addresses in the modem (WAN, Gateway, DNS) but make no difference to accessibility of IPv6 addresses (can reach internal modem IPv6 but not WAN or gateway IPv6)

MJ
Highlighted

I am unable to ping the WAN IPv6 address of modem but can ping external IPv4 and IPv6 address from connected devices, but can only ping IPv4 addresses from using modems ping tester.

Highlighted

Thanks cf4, I reverted to PDP type = IPv6  (ie no IPv4 addresses like your screen shot), but still can't ping google dns on IPv4 or IPv6 (8.8.8.8  or  2001:4860:4860::8888)

I see slightly different DNS entries on the modem but that's no big deal.

Under "Connection mode" I see "Current Mode:  LTE routed mode"   rather than "Type:  Mobile" as per your screen shot.  

I also don't get the message "Your broadband service is working in backup mode ..."

My IPv4 entries show blank rather than 0.0.0.0 (slightly different firmware or different modem behave differently?)

--

Something else I've tried:

Under Advanced -> Internet -> Internet Access there is a option called "WAN Supervision" which can be:

BFD (Which the modem's online help describes as Bi-directional Forwarding Detection)

DNS

Disabled

I've tried all 3 options - no difference.

MJ
Highlighted

I think the differences are due to the difference in firmware. The advanced settings page for the Technicolor modem is very different fro that of the Arcadyan modem.

Have you checked at Telstra My account that your service is still active and has not been disabled. The problem is probably either a faulty modem or the way telstra has configured your 4G backup.

Highlighted

"Unlimited Internet" plan still active in My Account.

Thanks for helping.  Back to tech support....

MJ

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more