CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
OutOfSight
Level 3: Gumshoe

Arcadyan LH1000 reboots with external hard drive

Before I complain to Telstra, I thought I'd check if anyone can help.

Yesterday I received and installed a new Arcadyan LH1000 as part of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 package sent as a warranty replacement for my 1-1/2 year old Technicolor TG800. This in itself was a warranty replacement of a Technicolor TG799. I am now getting pretty frustrated at the serviceability of Telstra provided modems.

Since getting the TG799, I have had a home network set up with an external 2TB Western Digital 2-1/2 inch hard drive connected to the USB port, and 2 T-voice phones (T502 & T503) paired to the DECT base station component. The internet connection is Telstra ADSL (as at the moment, NBN can only offer us satellite).

The LH1000 broadband connection seems to be working (but slowly, much slower than the TG800, but this may be an intermittent line issue or a wifi issue, I'm not yet sure) BUT as soon as I connect the hard drive to the USB port, and set it up -in Windows -as a mapped network drive (itself a bit of a time consuming thing waiting for the modem to recognise the connected drive), the modem starts randomly and frequently rebooting, to the point of making the modem completely unusable as both a home data network and internet connection!

This is exactly the same behaviour that the TG799 developed after a year or so of otherwise 'perfect' use. As a 'factory resetting' did not solve the problem at the time, it was warranty replaced with the TG800.

The TG800 then worked 'perfectly' as a home network and DECT base station for a bit over 1 year before it too developed a fault: the DECT base station (ie both phones together) started dropping out randomly (sometimes reconnecting, at other times not) and then later on, the Wifi also started dropping out (the latter only fixable by restarting the modem). A factory reset did not fix the problem, and after the usual 3 phone calls and about 6 hours talking to Telstra over a couple of weeks, I have just received the LH1000.

But, this seems to have a fault already 'built in', from the moment of receiving it! (The DECT phones both successfully registered but I haven't yet been able to check yet whether both work together, however when the modem reboots, it is the whole modem (ie it restarts)).

Help anybody?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 reboots with external hard drive

Hi OutOfSight,

I've flagged this post so our Technical Support Consultants can have a look when they are next in.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If the new modem has not got the harddrive connected, does the connection and phone stay stable?

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

OutOfSight

Hi Alistair

Yes, it appears not to reboot with the hard drive disconnected and short term (Saturday), the internet and phone connections appeared stable.

I do not know long term whether the internet connection is stable as I had go back to using the old TG800 modem as I need the home network (networked hard drive and static address wifi printer) and so I am just putting up with the wifi signal randomly dropping out (which has already happened once this morning). Further, the new modem required resetting our Telstra outgoing email smpt port settings (for some reason our existing TG800 hiccupped a few months back and has only worked on port 25 STARTTLS since) and so it all got a bit messy to keep the new modem connected with it's new settings and not supporting the hard drive connection.

However I have left the new LH1000 modem on, with wifi turned OFF, using it only as a DECT base station and I have not noticed it reboot (nor had any DECT phone call dropouts).

Regards

Level 24: Supreme Being

Whats the exact model of the external drive?
Does it receive power from the USB or separately plugs into a powerpoint?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
OutOfSight

Hi Yastiandrie & Alistair

Crisis over! Modem has stabilised. Everything is now working as it should, including overcoming some DECT phone incompatibilities between the Telstra T-voice T502 & T503 phones that were present with the TG800.

As I noted earlier, I went back to using the old modem (continuing faults notwithstanding) but I left the new modem powered up, wifi turned off, and used it only as a DECT base station. This was for two days.

Yesterday, I was able to find time to go back to setting up the modem again (in the end, it took the whole day, as the modem uses a completely different IP address number system that required manual set up of a finicky network printer and resetting printer drivers)

'Connecting' one device/ function at a time I watched for glitches. Non happened! Not even after attaching the external hard drive (incidentally, Yastiandrie, a WD Elements 2TB 2-1/2" drive, i.e. one that draws power from the USB socket, but one that has served well in past modems).

So what was wrong? Power source? I note from other posts that people have had issues with hard drives causing modem rebooting cycles on other models and power supply has been mentioned but not definitively determined. If so, question is, is it internal circuitry of the modem preventing adequate USB power, or is it the external power source not being able to provide adequate current to the whole modem, or is it something else?

So, given that this problem also developed as a fault two modems ago, was it in the old modem's a case, the power supply ageing and no longer providing stable enough power, and in the new modem's case, the power supply not becoming stable until it had been on ("warmed up") for a period of time?

In the case of the former, could the provision of a new power supply by Telstra have avoided the trashing of the whole unit at the time (a TG799)?

I only hope that in the case of the new modem, this initial problem isn't a sign of things to come as things age?

Interestingly, the new modem that was shipped to me by Telstra was the "Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with cable adaptor, suitable for Telstra cable (HFC)".

I have neither cable nor NBN so -Telstra(?) -is this a generic package which is currently shipped or was there a mistake?

I now have a Netgear 'cable adaptor' (modem) CM450 still sealed in its package unused, and never to be used by me, creating e-waste!

The Set-up guide was also fairly inappropriate for my own situation and had to be 'interpreted'.

If I had received only an Arcadyan modem without the Netgear cable adaptor, would it have had the up-to-now standard http://10.0.0... IP addressing and not the new http://192.168.0...?

Until now I was also unaware of the mobile back up! We have very dodgy reception in and around the house that only lets through the occasional text message. It's not possible to have a phone conversation on the mobile network.

Imagine my surprise when Telstra sent me an email requesting that I get the new modem off the mobile network and onto a regular connection as soon as possible! As the new modem's Mobile Signal Strength LED is off most of the time but occasionally it lights up red, I thought it of no consequence when using the modem as only a DECT base station for these past few days. But after the email I tried using the mobile back-up internet and it actually worked one late evening (1.7 Mbs download speed on 'Speedtest'), but not since (even during intermittent 'Red LED'). Perhaps it will work some evenings only, but I didn't think UHF was affected by night & day like Short Wave? Oh well.

Anyway, everything seems to be working fine at the moment on ADSL, modem solved its own problem!

It might have been a firmware update that fixed the modem There is a firmware update due for release 06.07r. The firmware version can be checked at Advance > Info summary.

192.168.0.1 is the new standard and has been the LAN IP address of the last three modems. Instead of re configuring devices on network you could have changed the LAN IP address of modem and LAN address range of the modem (Advanced > Local Network)

OutOfSight

Thanks for that cf4.
The firmware is currently 0.05.04r but I didn't check what version was initially installed.

Ah, yes, if only I had thought through that the modem addresses could be changed by the user! Tunnel vision/thought caused by frustration (and a lack of in-depth knowledge of modems. I only delve when something goes wrong)!

Bit late now but will remember your advice in the future.

My mind was also coloured by having to do a number of factory reset's on my modems over the years and, with my difficulty of keeping tabs on changes I have made, I try not to change anything too much, except adding things like hard drives and static addresses.

Wow, have there been 3 modems since the TG800 (which was still 10.0.0..., at least on mine)? No wonder we common users have compatibility issues.

Many thanks

I was thinking it may of been a power draw issue
The USB 3 port is rated for max 900mA (older gateways on usb2 probably 500mA). If its faulty or there's too much draw there was always the potential for it to cause a reboot

There seemed to be a UDP issue that would cause the modem to reboot that was fixed in v0.05.04r that could of potentially been the cause, but wouldn't explain what was happening on the other modems
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

the modem would have come with 0.04.04r out of the box

v5 was like its day 1 update but may have not pushed through right away

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more