Juventus
Level 1: Cadet

Arcadyan hidden shadow copies of wifi signal

Answered

WiFi Analyser tells me I have 3 copies of my local WiFi signal. All hidden, all with the same uptime, same signal strength, all with different MAC addresses. What gives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Arcadyan hidden shadow copies of wifi signal

That's how the band steering function works. Multiple wifi networks on different channels, allowing your devices to operate independently on the least congested channel.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES
Accepted Solution

That's how the band steering function works. Multiple wifi networks on different channels, allowing your devices to operate independently on the least congested channel.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Juventus

They are all on the same channel, and both band swapping and channel changing are turned off.
But the modem changes channels anyway.
Juventus

Band steering turned off, channel changing turned off. Modem changes channels anyway.
All the copies are on the same channel.
Juventus

Channel changing turned off, band switching turned off, all signals are on the same 2.4 GHz channel.

Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Do you have any chrome cast devices, or Mircast devices or Smart TVs that you had cast to? These all have hidden WiFi networks and if device is connected to your modem broadcast on the same channel with a hidden SSID. Some devices that support WiFi direct such as printers that support direct wireless printing broadcast a hidden WiFi signal on the same channel as modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more