CrowdSupport®
fox86
Level 1: Cadet

Best Wifi option to use with Telstra NBN?

Answered

I have just switched from Telstara ADSL to Telstra NBN, but I still nave my old TG799vac (Gateway max?) connected as the router/wifi. Phone now plugs into Gateway. NBN speed is great.

Problem: My wifi only reaches half of the house, and I cannot relocate router. My old Asus RP-AC68U repeater is flakey and heading to the recycler.

I am considering 2 options, and interested in your  opinions.

Option 1: Enter a new 24 month contract with Telstra and get a new Gen 2 Smartmodem, possibly also with a Telstra Network Extender. (cost $24+$216 if extender required, but also a 24 month commitment)

Option 2: Turn off the wifi on Gateway Max and buy a new mesh wifi system, like Netgear Orbi. (cost $496)

Question 1: Does the Smartmodem Gen 2 have better wifi performance than my current Gateway Max? Not interested in extra features like the fallback to mobile, just want to get a decent wifi signal through my whole house, preferably under a single network name.

Question 2: What are your thoughts/recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Best Wifi option to use with Telstra NBN?

Gen 2 Smart Modem has better Wi-Fi and are normally given out for free to customers moving to the NBN. I use a Telstra Gen 2 smart Wi-Fi booster and with it my whole house and yard are covered.

The Net gear orbi is a good device, but keep in mind your fixed line speed would at max be around 100mbps. With 1 bar of 5ghz wifid my computer was still getting 98mbps on wifi. Don't read to much into the advertised Wi-Fi speeds on any devices as the real world experience is usually half what is the advertised theoretical in lab conditions maximum.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@fox86 I would probably think about getting a Mesh device/s.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Accepted Solution

Gen 2 Smart Modem has better Wi-Fi and are normally given out for free to customers moving to the NBN. I use a Telstra Gen 2 smart Wi-Fi booster and with it my whole house and yard are covered.

The Net gear orbi is a good device, but keep in mind your fixed line speed would at max be around 100mbps. With 1 bar of 5ghz wifid my computer was still getting 98mbps on wifi. Don't read to much into the advertised Wi-Fi speeds on any devices as the real world experience is usually half what is the advertised theoretical in lab conditions maximum.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now